Narwhal clone attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigtwins

Reaction score
So. I really love the Sierra Nevada Narwhal. And I hate that it is seasonal. I found a few recipes and looked at the web site for sierra and built what I think will be a reasonably close clone. It is one week in the fermentor now. Brewed on Saturday pitched us-05 slurry form a pale ale I bottled that day. 6 gallon batch og 1.092 pitched Sunday am. checked Wednesday and sg was 1.034. Progressing nicely. tasted the sample. was like a chocolate coffee with a nice bite. I was pleased. Recipe:

Grains

14 lb Briess pale ale malt
4 lb briess brewers malt ( would have used the Pale ale but I ran short)
1 lb Carafa II
12 oz roasted barley
8 oz pale choc. malt 180L
8 oz choc malt 350L
8 oz C60
8 oz Honey malt
4 oz Black patent malt

Mashed @155 with 8 gallons for 60 min. fly sparge to reach pre boil volume of 8 gallons.( My boil off is 2 gal per hour in my large pot. so you adjust according to your equipment)

Hops

1 Oz Magnum @55 min
1 Oz Challenger @ 20 min
1 Oz Challenger @ 10 min

Just looking for comments on what you think of the recipe. I will provide updates as I progress.

Just to follow up. Sierra Nevada lists the six grains on their website. You might be able to cut down on the amount listed.

Where did you get the grain bill? Has SN released the recipe?

I searched the web and sn web site. I know its probably not exact, but I was just trying to get something to start with. I will keep up with the progress as I have new info.

Update: racked to secondary 23 days in. FG is @ 1.029. A bit higher than I was looking for. But the sample tastes Good. A bit more coffee flavor than I was looking for. Will reduce roasted barley on the next batch. Nice subtle alcohol presence slick on the tongue, and very chocolate!

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/high-altitude/narwhal-imperial-stout

Narwhal Stout.JPG

Back