Trying to fit a grain bill around Conan/citra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
I have some Conan yeast and a boat load of citra that I would like to get going. Trying to figure out a grain bill. The big thing is letting the yeast and citra shine. So not a big malt backbone, and nothing overly sweet. But at the same time I don't want it as dry as the Sahara. In my arsenal of grains I have 2 row, Munich 10, crystal 40, Vienna, flaked barley and oats and some carapils.

So throwing this out there:

80% 2 row

11% flaked barley

6% Vienna

3% crystal 40

My thinking is I will get some good mouthfeel from the barley and some nice color with the Vienna and crystal adding a touch of sweetness as well. Could be way off what do you guys think?

My other thought is going super simple with something like all Golden Promise base and a little carapils.

A lot of suggestions will depend on what gravity you are shooting for, the higher the gravity the smaller percentage of specialty malts will be needed. Personally I would lower your flaked barley to about 5% if not less, it will still give some body and head at that percentage. For your goal to let hops and yeast shine, something like 85% 2row, 10% vienna, 5% flaked barley would probably work well!

Whatever you do don't use any crystal malt whatsoever! Let the hops shine. Conan can finish sweet and extra sweetness simply isn't needed. I'd say your first grain bill minus the C40 should be great.

Latest posts

Back