American Saison Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gometz

Reaction score
I bought two ounces of Lemon Drop hops and had three ounces of Hallertau Blanc left over and was trying to think of a recipe. My first thought was a hefeweizen, but my fermentation chamber is full for a while, duo I couldn't ferment cold. Then it hit me, I'm already changing up the style, why not go all out. So I'm going too ferment it using 3724.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Grist:
7.5 lb German wheat
4 lb German Pilsner
0.5 lb rice hulls

5.5 gallon batch
OG 1.059 (75% efficiency)

Mash
Ferulic acid rest (113°F) for 20 minutes
Pull decoction and boil for 30 minutes
Raise mash to 154°F
Rest for 30 minutes
Mash out

0.5 oz LD and HB first wort

Boil 90 minutes
0.5 oz HB at 20 min left
0.5 oz LD at 5 min left
1 oz HB at 2 min left

Cool to 70°F

Ferment at ambient home temperature (75°F) for a week, then move to garage (85-90°F) for another week.

Dry hop with an ounce of LD and HB each for 5 days.

So anyone have any thoughts?

I think that looks solid. Im very interested on the effect of a ferulic rest with a saison yeast. Ive gotten some clove phenols in some saisons so Id like to know if a ferulic rest is at least partially effective with non hefe yeasts.

Please keep updated

side note - I found Lemon drop to be much different than I thought given its name. Its got lemon but also some floral and spicyness. Should go well with hallertau blanc floral gooseberry flavor

The LHBS had a lemon drop IPA on tap (all lemon drop other than a charge of hop extract for bittering), and I found it very nice and soft. That's perfect since that's what I was going for.

As far as efficiency, I hit it right on the dot. But my rest ended up at 151°F, I was too lazy to pull another decoction. I've gotten pretty good at estimating my efficiency on my system. The only twist was when I ordered grain online from Austin instead of buying it from my LHBS, all of a sudden my efficiency skyrocketed! (80% on a hefeweizen and 90% on a 1.060 export).

It's bubbling away happily in my closet, going to move it Monday.

Side note, other word ideas I've brewed or about to brew:
Export with American and noble hops. Slightly higher gravity than a regular export too.
Split my hefeweizen batch and am souring half using my house sour mix.
Helles with mandarina Bavaria

Back