When to add sugars into the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

--Dom--

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Belgian Strong Golden ale right now and was wondering when I need to add my sugars into the boil. Insights?

I've seen it traditionally in the last 15 minutes or so. I've never brewed one, but I'm always around my friends when they are brewing them. Figured I would give you something quick, since your in the boil.

I like to add my sugar either at flameout or directly into the primary. I always do the primary with syrups and stuff. It help keep the character of the syrup. Plus, adding it later on down the line means a lower initial OG so less stress for the yeast

stirring vigorously add them within the last 5 minutes of the boil should be fine.

Funny this came up...I have a Chocolate Milk Stout kit from NB and recipe says to add at start of boil,......maybe it doesnt really matter?

I would think it could matter on effect on hops maybe? not know....sure someone can educate us

I made a chocolate milk stout which required me to dump the 2 Ibs of lactose at the beginning of the boil but Ive also done Belgium ales which had you add the belgium candi sugar in the last 5 minutes. Im not sure but I believe the sugar just needs to be boiled long enough to sterlize it. My guess is anything boiled for at least 3 minutes should be sterile. I think I read that before.

I would wait until after you add the majority of your hops as the higher gravity will affect the utilization of the hops. Sugar doesn't really need to be boiled longer than it takes to dissolve. I have added honey to a cider during high krausen and it turned out great.

It really depends on how much carmelized flavors, and darkness of color your looking for. I would go with 15 minutes or less for boil time.

I would wait until after you add the majority of your hops as the higher gravity will affect the utilization of the hops. Sugar doesn't really need to be boiled longer than it takes to dissolve. I have added honey to a cider during high krausen and it turned out great.

Agreed.

This chart correlates hop utilization % with SG.

So I made dark belgian candi sugar yesterday (or at least something very much like it). Problem is I can't break it into little pieces because it's not brittle yet, but I'm brewing right now.

I've got 1.5 pounds or so chunks of it. I want to add it as late in the boil as possible, in case there's something to the theory that the longer it boils the more of the flavor will be lost. Anyone have a guess--or better, experience--with how long it make take to dissolve? You think 15 minutes in boiling wort would do it?

Here's an update, on the off chance someone may find it useful:

The first 1.5 pound chunk of candi melted in the wort VERY quickly (a couple minutes, if that), but made it boil over a few minutes later. I'd say about a quart wound up on the (cement) floor.
I was actually able to break up the second, smaller/thinner chunk, so I added that more slowly without any issues.
The wort is delicious! Very sweet, which isn't surprising given the 1.100 SG.

I do a refectory ale that calls for 4 pounds of candi sugar for a 10 gallon batch. It was always a major pita to get all that to dissolve nearing the end of the boil while softened blobs of it were trying to fuse to the bk bottom.
I switched to making candi syrup instead. Same flavors, much easier to use...

Cheers!

I do a refectory ale that calls for 4 pounds of candi sugar for a 10 gallon batch. It was always a major pita to get all that to dissolve nearing the end of the boil while softened blobs of it were trying to fuse to the bk bottom.
I switched to making candi syrup instead. Same flavors, much easier to use...

Cheers!

Strange I was able to add reasonably sized chunks (a couple pretty big ones, too) without any problem at all. (EDIT: after the boil over from the HUGE one!)

Do you have an electric kettle? Regardless I'll give syrup a try next time just to do something different.

Back