Dedicating keg carbing chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
Im just curious if anyone has dedicated a chest freezer to just having kegs hooked up to gas, to keep your keezer dedicated to just serving? And since it will be a carbing chamber would it be fine to leave it at 55 f? The reason i ask is because from what i have read thats what is considered a good cellaring temp.

Seems like kind of a lot of work. I just went with a larger keezer to hold extra kegs and use the same CO2 setup.

Depends on your style of beer and what you want to do with it.

Lager? 33F-ish might be best
IPA? 38F-ish is good, not sure how temp affects the loss of aroma, but I'm guessing colder is better.
Stout/Porter? 70F-ish is good to allow aging while carbing at the appropriate pressure (like 30+ psi)

Unless you don't have space in the keezer, and want to lager/clear up beer I think room temp carbing is your best bet (maybe even natural carbing).

I have a dedicated gas system for carbonating kegs, but it's kept in my basement at about 62F. When they are done carbing, I'll move it to my lagering fridge (if there's room) before putting them on tap. Otherwise I'll put them in the kegerator and they usually cool down to serving temp in a day or two.

It works great for keeping the pipeline moving. It's not a huge investment in materials, either. Plus, I put a dual regulator on my spare tank so that I can rack and keg beers using a pure CO2 environment - no more siphons.

Im just curious if anyone has dedicated a chest freezer to just having kegs hooked up to gas, to keep your keezer dedicated to just serving?

Not a freezer, but a fridge. It's half of my ghetto side-by-side fridge ;)
ab_jun28_2015_02.jpg

And since it will be a carbing chamber would it be fine to leave it at 55 f? The reason i ask is because from what i have read thats what is considered a good cellaring temp.

I keep the cold-conditioning/carbing fridge around 36°F so kegs can go straight into the keezer when needed and tapped immediately, but I suppose one could use whatever temperature seems right...

Cheers!

Man so many possibilities after reading your guys responses in l I'm liking the idea of keeping tbem at serving temps could i go with a single reg and just connect one of those 4 way manifolds?

Man so many possibilities after reading your guys responses in l I'm liking the idea of keeping tbem at serving temps could i go with a single reg and just connect one of those 4 way manifolds?

Yes, as long as you are carbing them all to the same level. If you want to serve/carb beers at different volumes of CO2 then you need multiple regulators (primaries or secondaries).

I just carb at room temp with my 20lb tank. Use the 5lb tank in the kegerator to just push the beer out. I don't see a need to carb at a lower temp...

Back