Clogged dip tube!!!!! what a fukin night!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1n

Reaction score
So last night i go to get a pint of the IPA i just brewed. Hook the keg up to the tap and pull..... little bit comes out but then stops... i know what the problem is, clogged dip tube from some of the dry hops that must have got racked into the keg.

Ok, i have plenty of kegs so i grab the out post of another keg and the dip tube and sanitize and replace. try again, same thing, gets clogged again.

So... i go get another dip tube and out post. Oh and i was using a spare keg with starsan in it to sanitize the dip tube i was about to put into the keg with beer. i would also run some sratsan out of the keg to sanitize the inside of the dip tube.

I go put on the new outpost and dip tube onto the keg with starsan. i hook juop the co2 and put the tap on the end to run starsan through. its coming out really weak.. i up the pressure on the regulator and its still weak. im thinking thats weird. i pull the tap off and all of a sudden i have a volcano of starsan shooting through the out post!!!!! Im just standing there in shock for a couple seconds, i then put the tap back on to stop the starsan volcano and then turn the co2 off and pull the pressure release valve on the keg. By then my floor had a huge puddle of starsan on it. turns out the outpost i put on had the thingy that the spring holds up was upside down, which caused to weak flow and left a nice opening for when i removed the tap. that was a fun clean up.

Finally after all that hassle and mess, i decided to bend one of my dip tubes so that it wont clog again. since i was moving the keg around i let it sit in the kegerator to crash the hops and yeast. This morning i check to see if beer will come out and it does!!!!

I didn't mean to laugh, but I did.

It's happened to me as well, and I always think I"m going to buy one of those diptube screens for the keg but I always forget about it until it happens again. :drunk:

I didn't mean to laugh, but I did.

It's happened to me as well, and I always think I"m going to buy one of those diptube screens for the keg but I always forget about it until it happens again. :drunk:

Yeah , this is the first time for me dealing with a clogged tube. It was pretty funny when that starsan just shot out of the keg. i literally stood there staring at it for a good few seconds. My wife had to scream at me before i took action LOL.

I laughed too. Sorry.

I thought about cutting my dip tube shorter to get it off the bottom of the keg. But I decided to just bend the tube against the wall. That works great and you can always bend it back if you want later.

I also started doing more dry hopping in a mesh bag INSIDE THE KEG! This keeps the dry hops from clogging the tube and helps provide nice dry hop aroma at the same time. They can stay in the keg longer before you get grassy flavors if it's chilled.

We've all been there. I've had a poppet get stuck on the out post before and a rocket of cold beer shot right up my nose.

I've had success using an liquid qd on a co2 line and attaching it to the out post. It shoots co2 down and bubbles for a second. Then I let it sit and settle overnight. So far, its worked the 3 times I've tried it

Yep. I've been there too! I was so pissed I think I woke the neighbors because it took so long to sort it out. Luckily that hasn't happened since and the beer was fine.

This happened to me once. I was lucky to have a dip tube that was cut by the previous owner of a keg. I replaced it and all was well. I never figured I would use that cut dip tube again, but there you have it. A reason to save everything.

Back