Can someone help me with this NG hookup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435364190.957398.jpg

So I recently had a plumber install a natural gas valve on my back deck during some new construction. This is a picture of what the valve looks like. Next to the valve, you'll see the quick disconnect that I'm hoping to attached to it. At the bottom of the valve you'll see some threading and a weird square shape. The quick disconnect threading looks to be around the right diameter, but it won't go over that square. Does this look right? Is there a piece I missing?

I know they say there is no such thing as a stupid question, but you are going to kick yourself when you figure this one out.

The square fitting is a plug that your plumber put into the valve. You need to remove that to do anything. Then you have two female fittings. You need a "nipple" of the correct size and thread to connect the valve and your quick disconnect. Although brass tends to be a good sealer, you should be using some Teflon paste or tape to seal those joints.

I'm not a plumber, and you do this at your own risk, but I don't think it is common to use quick disconnects on gas lines.

Haha, I was just asked about the "square fitting" by one of my customers today - what a coinki-dink. NeoBrew is correct - it is a cap. And QD's are perfectly acceptable here.

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I figured this out and did, in fact, have ahead slap moment.

Back