Recipe suggestion.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew my first batch in over a year.I am going to brew a Pale Ale in the 1.050ish range. Grains will be Marris Otter and possibly a small amount of Crystal 90,Munich and Carapils.I have 2oz of Warrior 18.9AA,1 oz Centennial 9.9 AA,1 oz Amarillo 8.8AA,1oz Palisade 7.8AA and 4 oz of Summit 15.5 AA. Which of these hops would you use,and how?

In no way is this probably the best combination, but looking at those options, a 30 minute boil using the following schedule peaks my interest:

1 oz. summit @ 30 mins.
.5 oz. summit, .5 centennial @ 10 mins.
.5 oz. centennial, .5 oz. amarillo @ 5 mins.
.5 oz. centennial @ 2 mins.
.5 summit @ flameout

I'd do:
Warrior to desired IBUs @60
.33 oz each Centennial & Amarillo @20 @5 & @dry/keg hop 14days

I'd do this but throw in some summit with those late additions, mainly because 2 oz total of late hops isn't enough for me in an APA. Keep in mind I haven't actually brewed with summit but I understand it pairs well with other American hops and may be more tangerine than grapefruit.

I like summit. Its a great bittering hop and has some nice citrus flavors too. Ive nver got the oniony flavors I hear some people talking about

I'd use enough summit at 60 to get you to 25 IBUs, then use your Amarillo, Centennial, and Summit (in proportional, not equal amounts) to get you another 15-20 IBUs at 15 mins. Blast it with the Amarillo, Centennial, and Summitt at flame out or in a whirlpool for as much aroma as you like.

Recently used 1 oz of Amarillo with 1oz of Simcoe at flameout for an APA. The aroma has an INTENSE tropical fruit and tangerine nose. Not yet sure if I like yet yet.

Back