Why does it seem like 565/3724 stall out often?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyeggoxj

Reaction score
I've used wlp565 3 times now for a simple saison. I pitched .75 mil/ml/ºP for all three time. The first two times I pitched at around 70 degrees and just left it in my closet to let it freeride to finish where it finished around 1.006-1.008. No temperature control other than ambient temps reaching up to 80-83ºf. The most recent batch I pitched at 68 and held it there for 48 hours and then let it freerise to 80 and kept it at 80 until it reached final gravity. That one finished at 1.0042. All of these batches had less than a 14 day fermentation and then were kegged and force carbonated. Simple 90/10 grain bill of belg pils and am wheat. Mashed at 148 for 90' and 90' boil.

I haven't worked hard at brewing with this yeast and I always get great results. So why do I hear so many people talking about it stalling out? What are they doing to cause it to stall. My experience has been that it just cranks away and finishes nice and dry while leaving some great body and amazing yeast character.

I'm not trying to brag about my amazing brewing skills. I just curious how people struggle with this strain so much.

First time I brewed with it, it stalled at 1.014 on me. I "carefully" controlled temp by stepping up a degree or two a day. Thought I was doing a good job, but didn't dry out like I wanted.

Then I had a buddy tell me he was leaving on a work trip and was going to pitch at 65 and then move it inside and let it do what it wanted. I thought he was crazy. He had great results.

Ever since, I've been pitching mid-60s, waiting for active signs of fermentation, and then shutting off temp control (hitting 80-85 degF). Always with great results.

To answer your question, I think if you actively cool this yeast (or rather use a cooling technique to try to restrict temp rise), you restrict the yeast's activity and they get the hint that you want them to go dormant. So when they get to 80% attenuation, instead of finishing strong and going to 90%, they just stop. Then people try to rouse or pitch additional yeast, etc, etc. Just let this yeast go!

I've only brewed one Saison so far and used 3711, so i don't have any experience with 565/3724 yet, but Drew Beechum wrote in this article HERE that back-pressure may be one reason for these strains stalling...

Interesting post; I havent used the WL 565 yet, but this tidbit is on the White Labs web page:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic Saison yeast from Wallonia. It produces earthy, peppery, and spicy notes. Slightly sweet. With high gravity saisons, brewers may wish to dry the beer with an alternate yeast added after 75% fermentation.

Note to brewers: This strain tends to stall out in fermentation and then restart as long as two weeks later. Make sure the wort is well-oxygenated and allow the temperature to free rise in order to ensure complete fermentation. Some brewers add WLP001 to finish.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also read through many of the comments posted to the WL page and some brewers report that when you think its stalled, if you just wait it will eventually finish and that (unusually) high ferment temperatures seem to help the yeast achieve the desired results.

Good stuff guys! Keep it coming!

I hadn't read about all the problems that people have with this yeast until after I used it a few times. I love using it because it makes such an awesome saison.

I think a very large reason for it stalling is that it isn't used by the brewery as a solitary strain. It probably contributes the most flavors and aromas early and they other yeasts in their blend finish it out.

I've only had one stall and it was planned. The beer was then finished with 3711 for a fantastic brew. I use a blend of 3724 and 3726 that also makes a fantastic beer.

I'v brewed with it as a single strain a few times but my best results with it are blends. Fantastic yeast with Brett Claus and Brett Drie.

Back