Is this an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camman34

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my second extract brew and after a week of fermentation this is what's left floating on top of the beer. The airlock still has activity and most of the krausen has settled to the bottom. Is there a possible infection sitting on top of the beer?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

1.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg

Hello All,

Is there a possible infection sitting on top of the beer?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Chris, what does the airlock smell like. What yeast did you use? Based on what im seeing and the detail is not the best, it looks like yeast clean-up activities.

What the gravity reading. Give it some time and take a reading, smell it does it smell like beer? Or rotten eggs or something else.

Thanks for the input guys. Here is a better picture from this morning. The airlock definitely smells like beer and not rotten eggs. I was planning on racking to the secondary today and dry hopping but should I wait, its been just over a week since I brewed. I used Safale US-05 yeast and a kit bought at the local brew store.

Thanks!
Chris

IMG_0010.jpg

I agree, can't see anything overt going on in the close-up pic.

As for rotten egg emanations from primary fermentation: don't sweat that.
wy3487 nearly gagged me for most of primary with sulfurous emissions, but in the end it produced a fabulous refectory ale without a hint of egg...

Cheers!

Racked into the secondary this afternoon and the taste and SG were right on track. Thanks for the help!

Does this look like an infection? This is the second time ever when i dry hop, so i don't really know how the fermenting beer should look before bottling.

DSCN2061.jpg

DSCN2062.jpg

Looks like kräusen/yeast rafts and hop matter. You're fine. But I'd give that a little more time to drop down to the bottom if I were you.

Is the bucket your secondary? If so, that is a lot of head space and surface area exposed to the air. Oxidation could become a problem.

Hmm, it might be an infection, Bionut. The only way to be sure is to have you bottle it up and send everyone a sample. ;) Just kidding, it looks fine.

You almost gave me a heart attack :D
This is the primary fermentation vessel, i have never done a secondary fermentation, i plan to do it for big beers that i wil do in the future.
I am not worried about head space abd oxidation because the airlock is still bubbling once in every 5 min or so. Probably you are right and is just yeast that didn't dropped yet. I wasn't home for a week, and yesterday i added the dry hop hops :) The hydrometer sample tasted ok, and the airlock gases smell delicious as well, lol.

Back