Tap Handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaffer1515

Reaction score
Got my most recent issue of BYO and there was a short article on making tap handles for really cheap. Basically you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy spindles for a indoor railing of your choice of wood and design (a single spindle can make 2 handles) and you can also buy the 3/8"-16 insert screw there too. I just started mine this week, and I thought I would take mine a step further by going to Michaels or any other craft store and buying some wooden plaques to attach to the spindle. I'll cut the access off at the tops and at my marks on the rounded part to make them around 9". Once its stained and all together I can make some cool labels and hogepoge them to seal them up good. Should be a good project that is really cheap!

Spindle costs: $6.25 * you get 2 handles from one spindle
Insert Screw: $1.63 x 2
Wooden Plaques: $1 ea.
Stain, poly, sandpaper, hogepoge already have...

Please post if you have other cool ideas...

20150619_112856.jpg

20150619_112927.jpg

20150619_112946.jpg

Got my most recent issue of BYO and there was a short article on making tap handles for really cheap. Basically you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy spindles for a indoor railing of your choice of wood and design (a single spindle can make 2 handles) and you can also buy the 3/8"-16 insert screw there too. I just started mine this week, and I thought I would take mine a step further by going to Michaels or any other craft store and buying some wooden plaques to attach to the spindle. I'll cut the access off at the tops and at my marks on the rounded part to make them around 9". Once its stained and all together I can make some cool labels and hogepoge them to seal them up good. Should be a good project that is really cheap!

Spindle costs: $6.25 * you get 2 handles from one spindle
Insert Screw: $1.63 x 2
Wooden Plaques: $1 ea.
Stain, poly, sandpaper, hogepoge already have...

Please post if you have other cool ideas...

can't go wrong with chalkboard paint on the plaques.

can't go wrong with chalkboard paint on the plaques.

Yep! I was going to make 3 for an upcoming brewing even and with the 4th since I have 2 spindles just make a chalkboard one or maybe just make a plain, no plaque just a handle.

Last edited:
Just an update, this is one of the 4 I have made up this weekend. The tap inserts are a real PITA to get in so far. I'm thinking about getting a 3/8" nut to try to run them in with a driver. So far I'm pretty happy with the results.

I've read, where folks use a drill-press to hold/press down the insert, while manually turning the chuck to run-in the insert. supposedly makes getting the alignment and consistent pressure on the insert easy. also read that the "slotted" side of the insert is supposed to go into the wood -- as those slots are reliefs for allowing wood-shavings to escape as the threads are cut. (some folks apparently use those slots with a flat-head/slotted screwdriver to install the insert -- had I not read about what they are for, I probably would have too)

some folks apparently use those slots with a flat-head/slotted screwdriver to install the insert -- had I not read about what they are for, I probably would have too)

That's what I was trying last night and I stopped. I haven't put one all the way in yet. I'll have to try this later tonight to see if it makes a difference. I used a drill press for the holes to try and get them as straight as possible.

The slot goes into the wood it helps cut the threads. get a 3/8 16 bolt and 2 nuts. Thread the nuts onto the bolt and use 2 pairs of pliers to lock them into each other. thread the insert up against the nuts and use a socket to screw the insert into the wood. When its in use 2 pliers or wrenches to loosen the top nut and unthread the bolt out.

Just have to make a run and pick up printer ink, bought some vinyl sticker paper online to print the labels. Should look pretty legit!

I've read, where folks use a drill-press to hold/press down the insert, while manually turning the chuck to run-in the insert. supposedly makes getting the alignment and consistent pressure on the insert easy. also read that the "slotted" side of the insert is supposed to go into the wood -- as those slots are reliefs for allowing wood-shavings to escape as the threads are cut. (some folks apparently use those slots with a flat-head/slotted screwdriver to install the insert -- had I not read about what they are for, I probably would have too)

Take a piece of threaded rod, or a bolt with the head cut off that is the same diameter of the nutsert. Thread on a nut, then thread on the nutsert, and chuck it int he drill press. Lower the quill so it is making contact with with the hole you drilled for the insert, with just a touch of pressure, and lock the quill in place. Then using a box wrench, just turn the nut. It will force the nutsert into place. Super easy/simple.

So in the army and like always I have had tons of time sitting in field. So I found some 50. Cal blank rounds. Fixed the star crimp (blank) and threw a hely coil in it and soldiered it to the side so it can hold its place and LMk what you guys think.

image.jpg

Looks good. Nice and clean. Well done.

Is it possible though to get a few pictures of the bottoms of the handles? ie, the issues with the quill or thread or whatever you call it? I have some ideas to make my own but can't visualize most of the "help" ideas on this thread.

TIA.

So in the first picture is a bolt that is the same diameter as the tap handle (3/8) and next to it is the 3/8 helicoil and the next size up helicoil 7/16 ( pic 1). So I put the smaller coil on then the larger one (pic 2) and it wasn't sung inside the round but close enough to throw some solder on it and keep it in place. I the last picture is the rounds and how they look before I clean them up. Hope this helps.

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

IMG_3248.jpg

Just about wrapped up with these. Thinking about adding some type of clear coat to seal them up better. The vinyl sticker paper says it's water proof but it couldn't hurt.

Nice! Do you have a list of links to the hardware you used?

Spindles range in cost, but Home Depot/ lowes carry a variety of wood choices. The plaques came from Michaels craft store and were something like $1 a piece. Just wood glued the plaque to the spindle after it was cut to length.

The screw insert can be bought online, http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=376_17_237&products_id=3281

But you can also get these at lowes or hd and for cheaper. Just make sure the inside diameter is 3/8. Really cheap project especially if you have everything on hand.

Labels I bought vinyl paper that you can print onto and its water proof so it holds up a lot better than just sticker paper.

Subbing. As someone who used to sculpt fairly frequently, I'd like to sculpt a handle or two. ;)

That 50 cal casing handle on the previous page is ridiculously cool.

Mesoohoppy thanks man yeah that was my 1st attempt at a handle I'm adding a unit coin on top of the round and it really sets it off ill post pics when it's completely done.

Back