Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Brewer's Pretzels

Old 01-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
TrojanMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brewer's Pretzels

UPDATE: Now with pics!

Please excuse the picture quality. The blue shift on the camera was all the way up for some reason and I didn't recognize it. Since I won't be making another batch of pretzels at least until I make another batch of beer, I figured these were better than nothing.

The tools and some ingredients:

For those of us not adept at the flip & twist method (like myself), twist the pretzels on the countertop like so:

Boil 'till they float...

... then bake at 425*F for about 10 minutes

-----------------------------------
Original Post:

I'm sure someone has mentioned this on the site before but I'm new so =P

I'm going to be bottling a batch of beer tonight and thought that even though I can always just buy another packet, it's a shame to throw out the used yeast. I figured I'd try washing/canning/refrigerating it and in the meantime, maybe there are some neat things I can do to it.

Pizza comes to mind first but that's a little more involved and perhaps more than I want to tackle the first time out so I'm thinking pretzels. That's how the food was invented anyhow, as a way to leaven flour/water in a simple oven with brewer's yeast (AFAIK, at least).

So I'm thinking the following:

1 tbsp sugar (or honey)
1 tbsp salt
2 cups warm water
all-purpose flour
2-3 tbsp yeast-laden residue from beer

For pizza crust, you'd add a little olive oil just to promote browning. Mix all ingredients except flour together until dissolved. Add flour until consistency reaches a dough, kneading by hand. After dough is formed, roll into ball, pulling the outside layer very tight and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.

Roll into long strips, cut to length, form pretzels, brush with water or olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and bake at 400*F for about 10-15 minutes.

I'm hoping to walk away with some easy-to-make beer and honey flavored pretzels.

Any advice?

Old 01-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

It sounds like a great idea. I'd like to know how it turns out.

There's a thread/recipe for sourdough pretzels here, if your interested.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...light=pretzels If anything it shows how to twist those darn things. I've made 3 batches of pretzels in my life, and none of them look like they're supposed to.

But I'd love to do bread and pretzels with leftover beer yeast.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Melana
Up to no good....
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1894 Times on 1114 Posts
Likes Given: 1134

fyi - if you add a small amount (around a teaspoon) of dme to your dough it makes for a finer crumb.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Those pretzels are making me thirsty!

Old 01-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Dextersmom
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOz77
Those pretzels are making me thirsty!

lololol

thats a really good idea....i'd really like to hear about your recipe and how they came out....also any pictures if you can take any.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 725 Times on 406 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Do it and post some pictures.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
TrojanMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alas, the camera was out of batteries and I didn't feel like messing with it.

I'm sure you guys know what everything looks like, though.

Here's my procedure:

* Take a glass measuring cup (2-3 cup capacity) and scrape the bottom of your primary with it to pick up some yeast cake. It'll grab about half a cup depending on how thick your cake is.
* Dump any liquid residue from the beer into that cup. We can't have anything wasted, here!
* Fill to the 2-cup mark with lukewarm water, something in the 70-90*F range. Straight out of the faucet is fine - filtered if your water's gross.
* Pour all that into a nice large glass mixing bowl and get our your whisk. Whisk in a pinch of kosher salt and about a tbsp of honey. I never measure this stuff, just give the bear a squeeze.

NOTE: Your dough will rise based on how much sugar you put in. If you like a light, fluffy pretzel, put in more sugar. If you like them denser, hold back a bit. You never need more than 2tbsp of sugar no matter how much dough you're making unless it's a real industrial-sized batch. For any quantity that will fill a normal refrigerator, 2tbsp is PLENTY. If you add that much, make sure you leave a lot of room in the bowl.

* Once everything is dissolved, start adding your flour. I added it 1/2 cup at a time up to about 3 cups. Note that measuring flour by volume is imprecise but for pretzels, since we're making the dough to feel, that's not an issue. Sift if you must but you don't need to. It may also help for you to switch from the whisk to a rubber spatula until all the water is soaked up.
* When you've got a loose, sticky dough, get plenty of flour on your hands and make sure there's something to hold your bowl in place (a rubber pot holder works fine). Put another half cup of flour on top of the dough and knead it in with your hands.
* When kneading, I used a down in the middle, up on each side, turn the bowl 90 degrees. Down in the middle, fold each side over, spin the bowl. Keep flour on your hands and add another 1/4 to 1/2 cup on top of the dough whenever it gets soaked in.

You're looking for silly putty. That's the best way I can describe it. It should stick loosely to the bowl and your hands but still come away if pulled. If it's like glue and sticks to everything in huge globs, you need to add more flour. Once you hit silly putty consistency, keep kneading for about 5-10 minutes to make sure everything is even.

* Cover the bowl with a towel and set in a warm place to rise. Expect about 25% growth. That'll take about an hour so grab a beer or two and by the time you're done, so will the dough.
* Break into pieces if needed and wrap in plastic wrap. Just get it as tight as you can, it'll be like trying to swaddle a boneless baby with seaweed. Not that I've ever done that...
* Refrigerate that dough overnight.

I'll probably use the tried and true "boil & bake" method with a generous dose of kosher salt.

It's really not as time-consuming as you might think. You only need to dirty one bowl, a measuring cup and a stirring implement or two, you don't really need to measure anything and aside from getting your hands a little messy, it's a piece of cake... er, dough... er, whatever.

For time and difficulty, I'd rank it somewhere between microwave popcorn and Kraft mac & cheese. You gotta figure, what you have in the bottom of your fermenter is half the work already so why not finish the job? Plus, you don't have to waste that half a glass of beer that's still left after you siphon so that's a win in my book.

I'll pick up some batteries today and get pics of the final product.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
Melana
Up to no good....
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1894 Times on 1114 Posts
Likes Given: 1134

Interesting... when you have time (and batteries) can you post pictures?

Old 01-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 725 Times on 406 Posts
Likes Given: 261

I like the innovative use of yeast.

I wonder what hoppy pretzels taste like.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
Dextersmom
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i'm putting my money on "Awesome"