DIPA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechyDork

Dork of all Tech
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to brew a big citrusy DIPA loosely based on a Heady Topper clone from this post in the clone thread on that beer. I have had a few beers lately that feature Mosaic hops and I am looking for that type of hop flavor, strong citrus.

What do you think of the hop combinations and proportions on this?

Should i simplify things a bit?

Maybe throw in some Chinook or Cascade in the steep and dry hop?

Batch Size 11g in to fermenters

Eff - 84%
OG - 1.077
FG - 1.010
IBUs- 96
SRM - 6.5

Mash @ 148 for 60 min

21.5 lb Pale 2-row 79.6%
2 lb Flaked Wheat 7.4%
1.5 lb Carared 5.6%
2 lb Dextrose (Added at flameout) 7.4%

2 oz Apollo @ 60 (50 IBU)

The following will be added at flameout and allowed to steep for 40 min

3 oz Mosaic
2 oz Citra
1 oz Simcoe

The following will be dry hopped for 4 days

4 oz Mosaic
2 oz Simcoe
2 oz Citra

Yeast will be WLP007 Dry English Ale

Last edited:
Yeah thats got about all my standards for a double IPA. Mash low, simple sugar to dry it out, large hopstand. What's cara-red though? Is it like a crystal 40-60L or something? Its up to you, but if I do end up using some sort fo specialty malt in my double IPAs I always opt for something less sweet like aromatic or honey malt. I think you could also up the dextrose if you wanted for better drinkability. I commonly use a full lb in my 5gal batches

Yeah thats got about all my standards for a double IPA. Mash low, simple sugar to dry it out, large hopstand. What's cara-red though? Is it like a crystal 40-60L or something? Its up to you, but if I do end up using some sort fo specialty malt in my double IPAs I always opt for something less sweet like aromatic or honey malt. I think you could also up the dextrose if you wanted for better drinkability. I commonly use a full lb in my 5gal batches

This is from NortherBrewer.com

"CaraRed
20° L. Provides fuller body and imparts a deep, saturated red color, particularly to red ales and lagers, Scottish ales, bocks and altbiers.
"

Do you think it would go well with the massive hop character in this one? I was just pulling the grain bill from the Heady clone that everyone was saying is a great beer.

Thanks. In the heady clone there is a little bit of Chinook thrown in there. Not having had heady does the Chinook add enough to be worth throwing in?

Chinook won't add any more citrus. If anything it will add a little more "dank". You have plenty of citrus with the Mosaic, Citra and Simcoe. Add the Chinook if you want to add some dank.

Chinook won't add any more citrus. If anything it will add a little more "dank". You have plenty of citrus with the Mosaic, Citra and Simcoe. Add the Chinook if you want to add some dank.

Hmm, maybe I will add an oz or so to the flameout to add a little dank to the citrus.

I find chinook adds citrus and pine with dry hop additions, more catty and dank with flavor additions

Personally, I'd switch the carared with maybe something like golden naked oats. Ive been putting those in my IPAs and they give a nice berry-like juiciness to it

This is from NortherBrewer.com

"CaraRed
20° L. Provides fuller body and imparts a deep, saturated red color, particularly to red ales and lagers, Scottish ales, bocks and altbiers.
"

Do you think it would go well with the massive hop character in this one? I was just pulling the grain bill from the Heady clone that everyone was saying is a great beer.

You won't get the red color with that percentage of CaraRed in the grist. It will still be a pretty yellow beer. I would add 2-4 ounces of Carafa if you are looking to impart a red color to this beer.

I love the flavor of CaraRed. I use a couple pounds of it in a session Rye Pale Ale (11 gallon) that I brew and I just love it. I've substituted C-20 in the recipe and it's just not the same. It's tough to describe the difference but the hops are just a little more "juicy" tasting in the CaraRed version. I wouldn't be afraid to add another half pound to one pound in this recipe if you wanted to up it. You have plenty of two row in there to offset.

I find chinook adds citrus and pine with dry hop additions, more catty and dank with flavor additions

Personally, I'd switch the carared with maybe something like golden naked oats. Ive been putting those in my IPAs and they give a nice berry-like juiciness to it

Hmm, the more i think about it i think i will leave the hops as is for this batch and maybe try some chinook if i brew it again.

You won't get the red color with that percentage of CaraRed in the grist. It will still be a pretty yellow beer. I would add 2-4 ounces of Carafa if you are looking to impart a red color to this beer.

I love the flavor of CaraRed. I use a couple pounds of it in a session Rye Pale Ale (11 gallon) that I brew and I just love it. I've substituted C-20 in the recipe and it's just not the same. It's tough to describe the difference but the hops are just a little more "juicy" tasting in the CaraRed version. I wouldn't be afraid to add another half pound to one pound in this recipe if you wanted to up it. You have plenty of two row in there to offset.

I am not too concerned with getting a red color, just the flavor from the CaraRed. I have not tried it, but want to see how it works based on what i have read in a few threads.

Updated the recipe in the OP.

Removed some 2-row for more dextrose to dry it out more, and also upped the CaraRed.

Is 7% to high for the CaraRed with the flaked wheat in there? Mash will be @ 148.

I disagree. My IIPA recipe has 2 pounds of C-40 in it (11 gallon) and it is very brightly hopped (and yellow due to the 23 pounds of 2-row). CaraRed will add a very nice character to this beer. 1 Pound would be pretty safe, 2 pounds would bring the character out more and make the beer a little more unique.

Looks good to me I am doing something similar on my next ipa magnum at 60 minutes and the rest flameout nothing in between. Of course there will be dry hops

I would also use 4% max crystal, but thats me and my taste I like the west coast Ipa little or no crystal

I bet citra and mosaic complement nicely together. Just whirlpooling a decent amount of citra alone gives me a huge citrus flavor/aroma.

I may have scrolled past, but are you treating water? Just would like you to get the most potential from all the hops you are using.

Good! Should provide a very pleasant aroma/flavor.

:rockin:

I may have scrolled past, but are you treating water? Just would like you to get the most potential from all the hops you are using.

yes i will be adding Gypsum and cacl2 to my water using the Bru'nWater spreadsheet as a guideline and to bring my Ca to 80ppm and Sulfate to 100 ppm. I have a full water report on my well water from ward labs and use that to set my water.

I will add that i am just starting to learn how to treat my brewing water.

attachment.php

I thought it was great... did it in a 50/50 2-row/white wheat brew and was just juicy as hell.

sounds like it will work very well in this brew.

Sounds good. That is some nice looking water. Remember that sulfate is -S, so multiply by 3 for actual ppm. With the given recipe and that water, you should be looking forward to a very nice DIPA :rockin:

I'm jealous of your well water. My municipal water is crap so I build up with distilled. Don't forget to mind the mash pH. It's the most important part.

I'm jealous of your well water. My municipal water is crap so I build up with distilled. Don't forget to mind the mash pH. It's the most important part.

It's good clean mountain water. Bru'nWater shows a predicted PH of 5.4. I have yet to invest in a meter to measure it, but it is on the list.

My wallet is still recovering from my EHERMS system build.

if you want something more like heady, add in Columbus. Yours is going to be awesome. More juicy n tropical whereas heady is a bit more dank/resinous.
crystal is fine, id lower it to a 1lb for your 11g but its more your tastes.

if you add in chinook you may get something like Victory Dirtwolf, which i think is fantastic.

if you want something more like heady, add in Columbus. Yours is going to be awesome. More juicy n tropical whereas heady is a bit more dank/resinous.
crystal is fine, id lower it to a 1lb for your 11g but its more your tastes.

if you add in chinook you may get something like Victory Dirtwolf, which i think is fantastic.

I have never actually had a taste of Heady Topper, but everyone raves about it so i thought i would brew something based off a clone of it and change it up to feature Mosaic hops. A local brewery does their IPA with Mosaic and it is pretty tasty.

It might be fun to add in some of the dank hops if i brew this one again. Just to compare.

So I have everything to brew this next week. I have been thinking of moving some of the hop stand hops to a late boil addition.

Say a little at 10 and then at 5 left in the boil.

The majority will still be a hop stand and dry hop.

Anyone have thoughts if this we'll make much difference in the final product?

Ive found any boil additions tend to give you a more muddled hop character than hopstand ones. I made a session IPA that is good, but not what I intended it to be. I think it was due to the few 10min additions I did. Its definitely hoppy and everything, but its just missing that juicy hop flavor that my IPA before had. With hopstanding, I always feel like you get a sense of the resiny hop oils on your palette

Ive found any boil additions tend to give you a more muddled hop character than hopstand ones. I made a session IPA that is good, but not what I intended it to be. I think it was due to the few 10min additions I did. Its definitely hoppy and everything, but its just missing that juicy hop flavor that my IPA before had. With hopstanding, I always feel like you get a sense of the resiny hop oils on your palette

Interesting. I guess i have just always used late boil additions in my IPA's, general do a 60/10/5/Flameout hop schedule. Just never tried doing a 60 min bittering with only a hopstand and dry hop. Guess I should step out of my box and go for it. :drunk:

As for the hopstand is there a consencious on dumping them in as soon as the boil ends, or is it better to chill to say 170 and then add the hops and let the wort cool naturally for the hopstand and then resume chilling?

I add some of my hopstand hops at flameout and then the rest below 180F. I generally just pick which ones go where based on what I smell and what flavors I think they will provide. The flameout ones should have more flavor contribution in theory

I add some of my hopstand hops at flameout and then the rest below 180F. I generally just pick which ones go where based on what I smell and what flavors I think they will provide. The flameout ones should have more flavor contribution in theory

good to know. I like that idea of adding some at flameout and some below 180.

Do you stop chilling during the hopstand, or do you just chill as normal?

UPDATE - I have modified this one just a bit and plan to brew it this weekend. Life got in the way and I had to take a little brewing break, but did an Amber ale this past weekend and have this one on deck for either this or the next weekend.

Batch Size 11g (10.g in to fermenters)

Eff - 70%
OG - 1.074
FG - 1.014
IBUs- 96
SRM - 7.5

Mash @ 148 for 60 min

26 lb Pale 2-row 81.3%
2 lb Flaked Wheat 6.3%
2 lb Carared 6.3%
1.5 lb Acid Malt 3.1%
1 lb Dextrose (Added at flame out) 3%

1.5 oz Apollo @ 60 (38 IBU)
2.0 oz Chinook @ 5 (8 IBU) to get some of the dank (maybe @ 10)

The following will be added at flame out and allowed to steep for 30 min

4 oz Mosaic
2 oz Citra
1 oz Simcoe

The following will be dry hopped for 4 days

4 oz Mosaic
2 oz Simcoe
2 oz Citra

Yeast will be WLP023 Burton Ale

Split the post boil hops. Half at flameout for added isomerization and aroma, and half at 160-180F for 30 min for some pleasant hop character and aroma.

Maybe consider the full amount of hops at flame out, and half that amount at 160-180F.

Your recipe looks good!

Split the post boil hops. Half at flameout for added isomerization and aroma, and half at 160-180F for 30 min for some pleasant hop character and aroma.

Maybe consider the full amount of hops at flame out, and half that amount at 160-180F.

Your recipe looks good!

I like that idea. I may just give that a shot.

Back