MLT combos - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > MLT combos

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006, 05:55 AM   #1
ALPS
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Posts: 153


Mash vessel. lautering system and the type of sparging you do all seem to have a combo that work best. Like a rectangular cooler with a braided stainless hose for batch sparging.

Whats the best set up for fly sparging?
What is need for a decoction mash?
Where would a copper manifold work best?


__________________
A fool and his money are soon partying.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:09 PM   #2
ALPS
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Posts: 153

I'm asking because I have a 48 qt Ice Cube cooler I'd like to convert to my MLT. I'll probably start out batch sparging, but would eventually like to try decoction mashing. Would copper pipe work for this?


__________________
A fool and his money are soon partying.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:20 PM   #3
DeRoux's Broux
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,959
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPS
Whats the best set up for fly sparging?
What is need for a decoction mash?
Where would a copper manifold work best?
the best set-up for fly sparging IMHO is to have a gravity fed system, with a HLT, then a MLT, then the boil kettle. but, you can do it without the 3-tier set up. you can just heat water in a pot, and laddle it into the cooler MLT and close the lid after each addition of sparge liquor. just more labor involved.

traditionaly a decoction was used due to the poorer grade of malts (under modified) available to brewers back in the day. it helpes convert the starches in the grain more effectivly. but, with todays grains being fully modified, most all styles of brews can be brewed doing a single infusion, or step infusion mash. some still do it today to achieve the true malty character of some German, Belgian,and even Scotish ales. it's hard to get that flavor from a single infusion mash (IMHO).

a copper manifold can work fine in the MLT. many of the members on the forum have built their own and have had great success with them.
__________________
Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
Brewsmith
 
Brewsmith's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2005
Torrance, CA
Posts: 6,252
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
the best set-up for fly sparging IMHO is to have a gravity fed system, with a HLT, then a MLT, then the boil kettle. but, you can do it without the 3-tier set up. you can just heat water in a pot, and laddle it into the cooler MLT and close the lid after each addition of sparge liquor. just more labor involved.

a copper manifold can work fine in the MLT. many of the members on the forum have built their own and have had great success with them.
That's my setup, all the way. I have a single 5 gallon cooler that I use for my MLT. I have a copper manifold that is about 8 inches square in the bottom. I just heat up the sparge water in a pot and slowly pour it in, usually with a pyrex measuring cup, about a quart at a time. Check out my gallery. I think there's a picture in there.
__________________
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:24 AM   #5
DeRoux's Broux
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,959
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith
That's my setup, all the way. I have a single 5 gallon cooler that I use for my MLT. I have a copper manifold that is about 8 inches square in the bottom. I just heat up the sparge water in a pot and slowly pour it in, usually with a pyrex measuring cup, about a quart at a time. Check out my gallery. I think there's a picture in there.
dude, i'm digg'n the tuba and beer! that's a riot!

nice job on the cooler conversion too.
__________________
Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Orfy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Posts: 11,732
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts


My three teir consist of A counter top, a chair and the floor.


__________________
GET THE GOBLIN
Have a beer on me.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cider and Fruit juice combos? BoxerDog Cider Forum 4 08-15-2007 01:26 PM


Forum Jump