Modern Homebrew Recipes: Exploring Styles and Contemporary Techniques - Gordon Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you guys will be dissapointed. I've had mine for about a week and read the highlights. I really like the way he organized recipes by 'type' rather than style. His conversational tone lets him really talk about, for example, session beers and what makes them all similar and different. You really get a sense of how his recipes have evolved over time to fit his vision (and tastes). This is a guy who's been on the scene for 20+ years and has seen a lot of style evolution. If you liked his 'Brewing Better Beer,' I really think you'll like this one.

I got this yesterday and I really like the way its put together. Instead of one recipe per style are different examples of certain styles, sometimes traditional vs modern, sometimes there are even 3 versions of a style. The way he specifies each malt and which maltster its from is great too so you can get the exact recipe Gordon uses if you want. This really is the new Brewing Classic Styles, everyone will have this book in a year or two.

I like how he pulls together not only recipes but some really interesting techniques to go along with them. I tried a mash schedule from a saison recipe he posted...infuse at 153, let it cool to 140 and then raise to 170 for mash out. It only really works if you can recirculate (like a HERMS) because cooling from 153 to 140 would take forever in a standing mash. Got my saison down from 1.063 to 1.004 on first gen yeast with no sugar in 11 days. Tastes great, getting kegged today.

I know this is a old post but, has anyone brewed the American brown ale recipe from this book? If so how did it turn out?

I haven't brewed that one but I did brew his Simplicity Mild, and man what a mild that was. So much flavor from only 3 malts. That Thomas Fawcett chocolate malt is the best chocolate malt for flavor in my opinion. That American Brown looks like a good one if your going to brew it, post back and let us know how it turned out. I got his Export Irish Red Ale in the fermenter right now!

John

I haven't brewed that one but I did brew his Simplicity Mild, and man what a mild that was. So much flavor from only 3 malts. That Thomas Fawcett chocolate malt is the best chocolate malt for flavor in my opinion. That American Brown looks like a good one if your going to brew it, post back and let us know how it turned out. I got his Export Irish Red Ale in the fermenter right now!

John

Will do! I would like to hear about the other recipes also. Has anyone brew anything else from the book? If so how did they turn out.

Will do! I would like to hear about the other recipes also. Has anyone brew anything else from the book? If so how did they turn out.

I brewed the Mosaic Double IPA recipe from his book last year and really enjoyed it. The Tupelo honey he recommends does add a different flavor profile and works well with the Mosaic hops.

Thinking about taking a stab at the Malt Liquor recipe next...

I brewed the australian ale and it came out great. Different yeast and surprising the hop flavor wasn't as strong as I expected. I think the mixture of malts was a good learning lesson.

Latest posts

Back