Two weeks - can I bottle, or still fermenting? With pic.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virgil1

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me out here. I am new to brewing, and today is 14 days since I put my first all grain 1 gallon batch in the glass carboy to ferment. Its an IPA from brooklyn brew shop. Instructions just say to bottle after 14 days. I still see a few tiny bubbles rising to the top. I attached a picture and a video. It's been in my garage for two weeks, in the dark, between 58 - 65 degrees(I live in San Francisco).

View attachment 2015-06-07 12.05.10.mov

brew.jpg

Best to take a few gravity readings over several days. If they are within the target FG range for your recipe and stable across the readings, then you are safe to bottle! Good luck! :mug:

You could check gravity a few days in a row, and if there is no change, then should be safe to bottle. But are you really going to do that for this small batch? Not unless you're returning the samples.

I suggest you give it another week, then bottle. That way you will be fairly certain it is done. Bottle bombs suck.

Thanks. I should have read the thread on my specific kit that is in the forum already!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=321084

I am going to let it go another week, it sounds like other brewers have had good luck with 3 weeks. I think I'll go two weeks in the bottle after that(using 500ml flip tops from my local home brew shop) then I'll try a couple and see. I am already putting together the parts list for a BIAB 120V 11g Kettle (for 5 gallon batches). I'm already hooked, and haven't even tasted my first batch!

Thanks. I should have read the thread on my specific kit that is in the forum already!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=321084

I am going to let it go another week, it sounds like other brewers have had good luck with 3 weeks. I think I'll go two weeks in the bottle after that(using 500ml flip tops from my local home brew shop) then I'll try a couple and see. I am already putting together the parts list for a BIAB 120V 11g Kettle (for 5 gallon batches). I'm already hooked, and haven't even tasted my first batch!

Just posting an update. I did 3 weeks in the fermentor, two weeks in the bottle. Tried the first one today. Was awesome. Will have a few more this weekend, and will post a pic.

Just posting an update. I did 3 weeks in the fermentor, two weeks in the bottle. Tried the first one today. Was awesome. Will have a few more this weekend, and will post a pic.

Yup, time is the answer. Enjoy....:rockin: Ya can't rush the yeasties

Yet another joins the ranks of those who enjoy throwing money into an endless pit.
Congrats on your first, put a few bottles away in a cool dark place an taste a couple month from now. You'll be blown away by the difference.

You will get different answers from different people about this. Some say to go by gravity readings, not the calendar. Many people try to go from grain to glass as quick as possible and will preach to ignore the calendar, but rather to rely on gravity readings to know when the beer is fully attenuated. Other people will suggest leaving in primary for at least 2-3 weeks, maybe even longer, to help finish and clear up any potential off-flavors. I find that I fall more into the latter group. I still take 2 FG readings a couple days apart before I bottle, just to make double sure that it's done, and so I know what my ABV will be.

Hoping someone can help me out here. I am new to brewing, and today is 14 days since I put my first all grain 1 gallon batch in the glass carboy to ferment. Its an IPA from brooklyn brew shop. Instructions just say to bottle after 14 days. I still see a few tiny bubbles rising to the top. I attached a picture and a video. It's been in my garage for two weeks, in the dark, between 58 - 65 degrees(I live in San Francisco).

As homebrewers I feel like it's nice to have the extra time baked in, but for some styles (especially extremely aromatic hop forward beers) time is not your friend. That's assuming there are no off flavors as well, extra time on the yeast cake will often help clean the beer up. FWIW I give all my beers 3+ weeks which has worked well for me. I use a 20-30 minute hopstand starting @ 175F and also dry hop for beers like IPAs. This allows me to get good hop aroma and flavors in my beer, although really good, fresh IPAs from commercial breweries tend to outshine my beers. I imagine getting my beer off the yeast earlier and incorporating multiple dry hops would probably help, but honestly I just prefer to "set it and forget it" for 3 weeks since it's not my full time job :mug:

I like to dry hop 5-7 days after the beer's settling out clear or slightly misty with the same hops used for flavor.

Back