AG recipe that's ready in 2 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have an AG (or easily converted to AG) recipe that is drinkable in 2 weeks? I need to have it ready by Fathers Day. My plan is to brew this Sunday, June 7, which gives me exactly 2 weeks to have it ready: 13 days in the fermenter, 1 day to keg, cool and force carb. :)

What are you looking for? You could probably sneak in a pale ale or smash in that time frame. Keep it simple and just get on it.

Anything with a reasonable OG is going to be done in a week, leaving you with a week to carb and chill. If the pros let all their beers sit in a fermenter for two weeks, they'd be out of business.

Actually, I am looking for something different than the 3 I have now. I have an American lager, a Wheat and a Blonde ale that will be ready, with room for a 4th keg. That's the one I need to have ready in 2 weeks.

Actually, I am looking for something different than the 3 I have now. I have an American lager, a Wheat and a Blonde ale that will be ready, with room for a 4th keg. That's the one I need to have ready in 2 weeks.

You could do a pale ale, or an American amber. Alternatively, a British mild is easily ready in 10 days from grain to glass, and that would be very different from what you already have.

Yooper, you're right about the British Mild. In fact, we just finished the last of a nice Mild. I liked it best after it chilled a couple weeks though. American Amber or Pale ale is what I'm leaning toward.

I've brewed the Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale several times when needing a quick turnaround. Best after three weeks, but very good at two weeks or less.
Great recipe.

I've brewed the Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale several times when needing a quick turnaround. Best after three weeks, but very good at two weeks or less.
Great recipe.

I'll second that ^^^

With your available 14 days. I would suggest at least 4-6 days in a cold keg...Bright tank, cold storage is key IMO. Your original timeline with only one day in the cold keg is NG IMO. A keg takes a day just to get cold, a few days cold storage makes a huge difference.

I'll just throw in another suggestion.

A Wit would also be ready in 2 weeks. And while you would want to chill, carb and chill again, you don't need to worry about getting it clear. You'd be done in the bucket by 10 days and have a few extra days to condition.

A great summer beer that's best drunk fresh.

Wilserbrewer, I agree. I have chilled and carbed in one day, but it wasn't the best. I generally like to allow a beer 2 weeks to chill and carb, so I'm not used to having to deal with a quick turn around.

After checking my grain supply, it looks like my choices may be narrowed down for me. For base malts, I only have Crisp Pale Ale malt, Pilsner, Vienna and Munich. So.. it'll probably be an English Ale, maybe a Mild, as Yooper originally suggested.

After checking my grain supply, it looks like my choices may be narrowed down for me. For base malts, I only have Crisp Pale Ale malt, Pilsner, Vienna and Munich. So.. it'll probably be an English Ale, maybe a Mild, as Yooper originally suggested.

Looks like a close match to the base malts in Yooper's Haus Ale if you want to go for an APA... Don't know if you can turn it around that fast though.... Maybe dry hop in the keg.

One key element that will help the timeline is to pitch plenty of healthy yeast, this way you can get a nice aggressive fermentation at proper temps in only a few days, leaving much more time on the back end to clear carbonate and condition. No time for a lazy ferment. Hit it hard with the yeast!!!

Well, I went with Yooper's suggestion and brewed a Mild. Simple and easy. I have a good batch of London ESB yeast slurry that I can pitch, so getting a good ferment started should be a piece of cake. I'll let everyone know how it turns outs. All those other suggestions are great too, Wit, Pale ale etc. I'll keep those in mind for later, especially the Pale Ale, which I've been wanting to brew. Belgian Wit is usually part of my regular lineup. Thanks for all the help!

Well, I went with Yooper's suggestion and brewed a Mild. Simple and easy. I have a good batch of London ESB yeast slurry that I can pitch, so getting a good ferment started should be a piece of cake. I'll let everyone know how it turns outs. All those other suggestions are great too, Wit, Pale ale etc. I'll keep those in mind for later, especially the Pale Ale, which I've been wanting to brew. Belgian Wit is usually part of my regular lineup. Thanks for all the help!

Interested in how it turns out in a few weeks. Good luck

Just a quick update on my 2 week Mild: 8 days in the fermenter, 6 days chilling and carbing in the keg. At 3.6% Abv, this is the smallest beer I've ever brewed. Though I'd expect it to be very light in flavor, it has a surprising amount of flavor for such a small beer. It is very drinkable now, but I'm sure that it will be even better with another week or 2 in the fridge. A drinkable beer in 2 weeks? You bet! Thanks for all the help, and thanks to Yooper for the suggestion to brew a Mild!

Though good tasting after 2 weeks, my Father's Day Mild is even tastier now, after nearly 4 weeks. It has the taste of a full flavored, standard Abv. beer. My neighbor thought it was about 4.8% Abv. and was surprised when I told him it was only 3.6%. I must say that it even surprises me how much flavor such a small beer can develop.

Thanks to all who contributed with brew suggestions, and to Yooper, who convinced me to brew a Mild. :mug:

Back