Fruity APA - Hopping Schedule Advice Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZPicker

Reaction score
Hi all,

This weekend I'm aiming to brew a nice hoppy APA and am aiming for a big hit of tropical fruit taste/aroma, with balanced bitterness (though not too bitter - ABV will be around 5.5%).

My grain schedule is as follows:

5.00 kg Gladfield American Ale Malt (2.5 SRM) (Equivalent to US-2Row)
0.34 kg Gladfield Light Crystal Malt (32.0 SRM) (Similar to Crystal 40L)
0.23 kg Gladfield Gladiator Malt (5.1 SRM) (Equivalent to Carapils)

The hops I have on hand are:

100gm El Dorado
100gm Amarillo
115gm Citra
25gm Magnum
25gm Cascade

I was thinking of doing a small amount of bittering with Magnum before plenty of late additions (Hopburst) + Whirlpool hops + dry hopping.

I'm keen to showcase the El Dorado a wee bit, but haven't used it before.

Any advice on hopping schedule would be much appreciated :)

I'd go with magnum as either FWH or 60 minute addition to get to your desired IBU's. Then add 1/4 of the el dorado/citra/amarillo/cascade at flameout, 1/4 for whirlpool at ~175°F, and the rest as a dry hop addition for 4-5 days.

I'd go with magnum as either FWH or 60 minute addition to get to your desired IBU's. Then add 1/4 of the el dorado/citra/amarillo/cascade at flameout, 1/4 for whirlpool at ~175°F, and the rest as a dry hop addition for 4-5 days.

Thank you! That's exactly what I'll do.

Good luck and keep us posted on the results!

Am really happy with this one. Ended up with the aroma and balanced bitterness that I was aiming for.

My best beer yet :)

IMG_3843.JPG

Looks good. I have started using Gladfield malts as well and really liking the results. My APA with the American Ale Malt turned out really nice. I recommend trying it in a APA / IPA.

Back