Tail of the Dragon Trip...Breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carusoat

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My friends and I are going down to ride the Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina, leaving from New Hampshire. Unsure of the exact route right now, but was wondering if anyone had some places to go that are on the way. We are probably going to stay in Knoxville, TN a night and Hagerstown, MD another night.

Hopefully going to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway. If there's any other bikers here to recommend other great rides let me know!

thanks! :mug:

I hope you all have a safe trip. To start with there's always the option of using google maps to search for brewery's and then plan your trip accordingly. I've made the trip starting in Maryland so our nightly stops began a little further down in WV. For you though if you start from your stop in Maryland I assume you may want to make some time and take I81 south to Waynesboro, Va to get on the BRP. It may only be a 3hr ride by highway but there's 3 or 4 brewery's in the area there, Blue Mountain, Devils Backbone, 3 Star and Wild Wolf Brewing Company. If you have time and feel like riding more you could take the BRP down to Buena Vista head east on rt 60 to N rt 29 then pick up N rt 151 to come back up and hit the breweries for the evening.
The next day take the BRP down to
Switzerland Inn
86 High Ridge Rd
Spruce Pine, NC 28777
If you can get there on a Friday night the buffet and the view is awesome. Rooms are a little on the high side though but it's a real unique place to stop. After that head for Mt Mitchell down towards Asheville and ride to the highest point east of the Mississippi! Then Hit the pubs all over Asheville. Once you head west to the Dragon you need to stock up on beer before you reach Robbinsville, NC because it is a dry town. There's beer in most towns down that way. Make sure you hit the Cherohala Skyway! Once you reach the end in Tellico Plains, TN there's beer and Liquor in the shopping center down there. I hope this helped get ya started be safe!

Sierra Nevada's East coast operation is in Asheville, NC. May be worth the trip. I have spent a good bit of time in and around the Smokies and Robbinsville, and don't recall any places with a good beer selection really.

Then again, when I am on two wheels I typically shun beer and focus on the riding, so maybe I just am not looking. There's enough madness on the road without beer adding another variable to the equation, least for me anyway...

Sierra Nevada's east coast brewery is in Mills river and is a beautiful brewery plus they just opened the amphitheater. Also Asheville has a ton of great breweries to name a few Green man, the Lab and Wicked Weed.

3 brothers brewing is probably the best beer in VA. They are located in Harrisonburg, VA not far off 81. If I could only stop at one brewery in VA, that's where I would go. I've been told that they are going by "Brother's brewing", but I'm not sure. They were definitely "3 brothers brewing" a few months ago.

What do you ride?

Back