My first failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
It was bound to happen eventually, but I finally had a total disaster.

It was a dark and stormy evening... okay, not really. I was headed to my folks' place for the weekend, and I had been yearning to brew so I took my gear and all the ingredients with me. I usually brew indoors on my electric range (I'm lucky like that). But my dad suggested using his 56,000 BTU gas grill, which seemed reasonable. I do full volume BIAB, so I put my 9 gallon pot on his grill and filled it with 7.5 gallons of store-bought spring water (since their water has way too much iron to be usable).

After 1.5 hours on high, we had reached about 95F. I should have just pulled the plug right there. But my dad really wanted to make it to work, so he got a bunch of kiln bricks from his shop and we insulated the kettle better, which worked alright. After another hour we were at strike temp. We killed the heat, mash in, and gave it a good stir then did our best to insulate with blankets. But the temperature was dropping pretty fast, so we spent the next half hour occasionally firing up the burner to keep the temp at the proper mash temp.

After half an hour, I unwrapped everything in order to give it another good stir. Wouldn't you know, I give it a good stir, and the temperature jumps to 185F. Apparently the temperature probe had been sitting in a cool spot and we have been overheating the hell out of this thing for the last half hour. I don't think my parents understood, but I basically said "Okay! We're done here. Who wants oatmeal?"

I think they were more disappointed than me, probably because my only strike so far was on their watch. But what's brewing without the occasional failure? :drunk:

Did you take a gravity reading? Might have gotten some conversion? I understand if you just said "F it! I'll be at the bar!" though. I probably would have.

I accidentally boiled an over full crockpot a couple batches ago (partial mash). It came out real hazy due to unconverted starches, so I added some amalyse enzyme in the fermenter and it cleared up over a couple weeks and the beer turned out pretty good. I thought it would be a tannin bomb, but it got rave reviews.

Did you take a gravity reading? Might have gotten some conversion? I understand if you just said "F it! I'll be at the bar!" though. I probably would have.

Haha, basically that's what I did! We went out for dinner and drank beer to memorialize our fallen comrade. I did check conversion with iodine though, and needless to say it was pretty black.

Plus, even if some parts of the pot were over temp.. some were not and even the ones that were over had to climb up through the desired range.. slowly if the situation is what it sounds like.

Did you already dump?

Did you already dump?

Yep, that bad boy is long gone! I'm sure you're right that there was some conversion though. I could have saved it and added some DME to get it to where it needed to be. But I had my doubts that we could even get it to a boil and we had already been at it for 3 hours, so I basically said "**** it".

Yep, that bad boy is long gone! I'm sure you're right that there was some conversion though. I could have saved it and added some DME to get it to where it needed to be. But I had my doubts that we could even get it to a boil and we had already been at it for 3 hours, so I basically said "**** it".

Amylase is cheap.......... I keep it around for just such occasions, and to accelerate conversion of adjuncts.........

H.W.

Too late now but I would of kept going.

Yes you might get some astringency from mashing that high - more likely I am thinking some melanoidins like a decoction.

And yes there might be more unfermentable sugars than you targeted.

But I think it would be unlikely that you denatured the enzymes so fast that you produced a very starchy wort that would be unsuitable for clean fermentation. And if I was still worried I had a starchy wort (iodine test to confirm I guess) then I'd pitch some bugs and call it a p-lambic or flanders depending on the malt bill.

Why you no stir during direct firing?

I would have slugged it out, it was obviously stratified if you had temps crashing where the probe was.

Why you no stir during direct firing?

I would have slugged it out, it was obviously stratified if you had temps crashing where the probe was.

Because it lost heat so quickly when we had the blankets / kiln bricks off that I wanted to limit how much time it spent uncovered.

My process at home is much, much better. Basically, hit strike temp, flame out, add grain, stir, wrap in a sleeping bag, and the temp doesn't drop more than 0.5F over an hour, even with stirring every 10 minutes.

Because it lost heat so quickly when we had the blankets / kiln bricks off that I wanted to limit how much time it spent uncovered.

My process at home is much, much better. Basically, hit strike temp, flame out, add grain, stir, wrap in a sleeping bag, and the temp doesn't drop more than 0.5F over an hour, even with stirring every 10 minutes.

Still...and you know this now, but you would have been back to temp in seconds.

Back