Help! WLP002 not available

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Primavera

Reaction score
Brewing a Stone IPA clone this weekend and my LHBS is out of WLP002.:mad:

They do not have WY1968:(

Next closest yeast strain?

Try safale us-04 which I believe is the same strain as 002 and 1968. Or if that's not available then I think wlp007 is another English strain.

US-04 attenuates higher than WLP002

Might try going a little higher on my mash temp to offset the difference.

Try safale us-04 which I believe is the same strain as 002 and 1968. Or if that's not available then I think wlp007 is another English strain.

WLP002 --> WLP005 --> WLP007 is a series of English yeasts with increasing attenuation but it probably comes down most to mash conditions. 005 might be an okay substitute.

It's not the same, but I LOVE Wyeast 1335 in American IPAs, even though it's an English strain. It's fairly clean, attenuates well, and drops clear wonderfully well.

Hmm I was told that 04 is same or maybe was it similar to 002 as 05 is similar to 001.

I'd say S04 is quite different from WLP002 - just looking at the "cottage cheese" that 002 is known to produce. It's an epic flocker, S04 can't compete in that characteristic (for better or worse - honestly, 002 kinda freaks me out with that clotting thing ;))

Cheers!

I'd say S04 is quite different from WLP002 - just looking at the "cottage cheese" that 002 is known to produce. It's an epic flocker, S04 can't compete in that characteristic (for better or worse - honestly, 002 kinda freaks me out with that clotting thing ;))

Cheers!

Well thanks for the clarification and that's why these forums are so great. So are 1968 and 002 similar though.

I have recently been attracted to 1968. Did a 10gal split batch (to harvest yeast) of an American Wheat with 1056 and 1968 and the 1968 was awesome. Everyone who tasted it liked it (1968) more as well (same ferm sched and temps in the low 60sF). Used the harvested yeast for a Zombie Dust Clone (FFF supposed house strain) on tap now and WOW the pints I have pulled tonight blew away the batches Ive made in the past with 1056. I am probably going to make this my house strain.

OK, so I decided to put off brewing until I had the correct yeast. I ordered WLP002 and then when I didn't see an order confirmation, I figured it didn't go through and went back and ordered WYEAST1968.

So now I have a 1L starter of 002 and the smack pack in the fridge.

Are these the same strain and can I just pitch both?

Back