IPA Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_Burbank

Reaction score
I used yeast 1056 american ale for my Imperial IPA and then realized I had an additional Safale US-05 packet.

I had help when buying the ingredients, but don't know if I accidentally bought extra or screwed up by not adding the second yeast. Whats the best option if I brewed the beer 3 days ago?

1056 and 05 are considered to be interchangeable, so im going to assume your recipe suggested either or, it would be quite unusual to mix the two yeasts.

From here i would save the 05 for a future brew.

What was your og for the beer? For high gravity beers some suggest pitching two packets ( For 05) or making a big starter for 1056

Well like I mentioned I was being helped with everything, but after realizing I had an extra pack I re-read the directions and it looked like it said (3) 1056 or (2) 05. But I doubt that the person helping me would have not suggested buying 3 1056 if that's what it called for or having me mix the two, right?

Exactly. 3 packs of 1056 is enough to ferment most batches.
Once you are confident with your process you should have a look at yeast starters, magically turn one pack of yeast into 3

Ok. I think I may have used the wyeast yeast starter/activator. If that's the case then like you said I probably just have an extra packet with the 05?

Back