Moldy fruit and slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odubbs25

Reaction score
Eleven days ago I made a Joe's Ancient Old Mead and now the fruit and everything is at the top. Everything that is not submerged is has mold now and I don't want to toss it because it smells fine but not sure.

I red that I should have been knocking it down into the liquid for the first week but I'm afraid its too late to submerge it.

What do I do? Racking? Submerge the rotting fruit? Toss it?

I also ran my mead on a HPLC and these are my results. All results are in grams per Liter.

Cellobiose: 23.11679
Glucose: 27.77188
Xylose: 90.8419
Latic Acid: 0.2630
Glycerol: 9.2519
Acetic Acid: 0.9407
Alcohol: 72.3866

I haven't had any bubbles come out for the last few days so I think I have a stuck fermentation, I still have alot of sugars. Do I need more yeast?

Any help would be appreciated.

hi,i just put up a apple cider brew,about 16 days in,still bubbling,but top 1/4 is out of liquid and going mouldy,i have done a few lemon based brews and some ginger based as well,never had a problem,currently have a 60 lt & 30lt lemon going, all good,i think I am going to rack off the apple cider & add more yeast,see what happens,ill let you know results

Back