We may be in a little bit of a pickle Dick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 121283

Reaction score
This sucks... Hopefully I can get this thing off and replace just the nut and not the whole regulator.

IMG_1661.JPG

Ouch. What causes such a thing? Inlet nut is cracked in half.

You need another inlet nut. You'll need to remove the inlet nipple first, which you can easily do with adjustable wrench and some thread tape. It might be a left-hand thread, so you'll be turning the opposite way you'd expect to remove.

I think this is what you need. Super cheap ($2). Might want to throw some other stuff in your cart while you're there.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...regulators/regulator-parts/cylinder-valve-nut

that whole piece can unscrew from the regulator but finding a replacement might be the hard part....

Yea I got it apart no problem with a vice and a socket wrench, the adjustable wrench was stripping it. The local shop carries the destroyed nut so I'm going to run up there on my lunch break tomorrow. It's $6 but we have a carb'd keg sitting with no CO2 on it right now otherwise I'd order it. I think a combination of it being cold from sitting in our keezer to me man handling it (turning it the wrong way to take it off) is what cracked it. I snapped it the rest of the way with a flat head and a hammer to expose the hex end of that nipple more. Hopefully nothing else is wrong with the regulator, I'd hate to have to buy a new one.

Yea I got it apart no problem with a vice and a socket wrench, the adjustable wrench was stripping it. The local shop carries the destroyed nut so I'm going to run up there on my lunch break tomorrow. It's $6 but we have a carb'd keg sitting with no CO2 on it right now otherwise I'd order it. I think a combination of it being cold from sitting in our keezer to me man handling it (turning it the wrong way to take it off) is what cracked it. I snapped it the rest of the way with a flat head and a hammer to expose the hex end of that nipple more. Hopefully nothing else is wrong with the regulator, I'd hate to have to buy a new one.

Yep you're right, adjustable would slip right over that soft metal. Vice grips to the rescue. Good luck getting back in biz.

The reg or fitting should be marked "CGA" something or another (CGA-360, CGA-540, etc.). I can't remember what it is and am too lazy to go to the garage. Grab some channel locks or pipe wrench and screw the whole thing off. Take to the local weld shop and they will replace it with a match. It's only a few bucks. The reg is basically a spring and a diaphragm, you can pound the hell out of it and not hurt it.

Edit: use a box end wrench to put it back on to avoid rolling the nut. Get a longer nipple to make it easier if you need to.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Picked up the nut and a new stem from the local homebrew shop for $12, back in business...

Back