sour wort and bottle dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevesauer

Reaction score
Hello all. Quick question. Could I sour wort using only a 2 litre culture obtained from bottle dregs? The culture would contain lacto, pedio, and brett. May be interesting, but would it work?

i wouldn't do it. at souring temps, the brett and sacch in the dregs may also become active and the results might not be good. i would only use a pure lacto pitch.... but that's just me. maybe all the sacch will be dead and the brett won't have time to get going?

Yea, I hadn't thought about the sacch. I suppose that would be asking for trouble. What if I were to sour wort with a pure lacto culture and when I pitch wlp001 add bottle dregs? That should work, right? Maybe I'd get a little funk? The pure lacto produces a very clean sour. Maybe too much so depending on who you ask. At the end of the day, I'm looking to add some complexity without taking the full on traditional route. Guess I'm simply not patient enough for that.

This reminds of a common analogy...You can microwave a steak it but I wouldn't recommend it.

Pitching pure lacto for a day or 3 is a pretty common practice followed by sacch, brett or a mixed culture ferment.

I've only done this one other time. Soured with pure lacto, boiled for 90, and fermented with wlp001. Turned out fantastic. However, just trying to make things more interesting. Perhaps a mixed culture ferment would be a safer bet. ..

I've made beer with just built up dregs. It came out fantastic. I had friends over to drink some lambics, and all the dregs went into a starter. I built it up a few times and then pitched. A year later I bottled and it's delicious. Highly recommended

I've made beer with just built up dregs. It came out fantastic. I had friends over to drink some lambics, and all the dregs went into a starter. I built it up a few times and then pitched. A year later I bottled and it's delicious. Highly recommended

Sure we are all for dregs for primary or secondary fermentation but for a sour worting followed by a boil it would be best to keep brett + sach out of there.

Back