Side-by-Side and Top-Freezer which for fermenting/kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvanderhaar

Reaction score
I have a side-by-side and top-freezer refrigerator ready to use for brewing. Which one does everyone think should be the fermenting chamber? Kegerator?

Some thoughts from other threads:
  • Side-by-side may use more energy. Could be better as ferm chamber - not on as much.
  • Side-by-side may be difficult to regulate temps with the freezer design
  • Side-by-side is much bigger - more kegs are more likely than more fermentation

My exact specs:
Frigidaire FFTR1817LWE - 18 Cu Ft top freezer
Frigidaire GLRS267ZD - 26 Cu Ft side by side

There are a few side-by-side builds on here. I have a side-by-side ferm chamber and it works great. A couple modifications to allow airflow between the two sides. Great part of it is I have one side for lagers / lagering and the other for ale fermenting at the same time! Also means that you might be able to get away with using the build in controls on the top-freezer model as is without modification and have the freezer as designated hop storage.

chamber01-65196.jpg

20150324_221007-65363.jpg

That sounds like a good idea. Some quick follow up questions - Is your fridge in the garage? Do you have any trouble with temperature stabilization (like having the heater on one side fighting the cooling on the other?)

That sounds like a good idea. Some quick follow up questions - Is your fridge in the garage? Do you have any trouble with temperature stabilization (like having the heater on one side fighting the cooling on the other?)

It is currently living in the computer room / office / brewery. The second bedroom hath been officially renamed. There have only been a couple of times where the two halves would be fighting each other. Right now I have nothing happening on the right (warmer side) so I used those fancy switches on the front to turn off all functions. It doesn't heat cool or fan. It just sits there. Currently I've got one side cold crashing at 0.5C and the other side is sitting at 15C simply by being attached with that internal wall.

If I was fermenting at 18C it is possible that the warmer side would produce enough heat through fermentation to not need the heater at all right now. If I was actively fermenting a lager on the left however (8C), the conduction of heat between the sides would be lower. That would mean the warmer side would need to run the cool cycle to get where it needs to be.

I can only see a problem if I were to do something intentionally wacky. Say cold crashing on one side and ramping a Saison to ensure attenuation at the same time. There is also plenty of space on the right side should I want to add 1.5" of extruded foam board to the common wall.

Back