Timelapse of Hop Growth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbergen

Reaction score
I made a timelapse video of one of my first year hop plants growing over the weekend. It would have gone a bit longer, but I think a raccoon or something knocked my camera and unplugged it. You can see the camera angle change and battery start to drain right at the end.

It's pretty cool to see how quickly they grow, and how they look for something to climb up.

I put this over on the homebrewing subreddit, but thought it might be appreciated here too.

Here's a link to the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else feel really bad for the vine on the right? He looks so desperate, just looking around for something to hold on to. I get a "lost child" vibe like a kid in a Walmart that strayed around the toy section for too long and didn't notice that his mother had moved on to sporting goods. Suddenly he realizes that he is alone and is unable to see his mother anywhere. He doesn't want to cry or look afraid but you can see it in his eyes anyway. He looks and looks but doesn't see her. You see him become more and more desperate as he walks then runs looking all around him and down each isle in the toy department. You ask if he is ok and if he is lost and out of fear he lies to you and says he is fine but he isn't and starts to cry. You want to reach out and hold his hand guide him to his mother that you know is just elsewhere in the store not very far away but instead he leaves you and continues to look panic filling him he heads back the way him and his mother had come. The opposite direction that she had gone. Yeah, that is what that vine makes me think.

That is fascinating. Completely flies in the face of the old-wive's tale that the plants rotate as they follow the sun East to West each day

So, does that mean that in the southern hemisphere the bines grow in a counter-clockwise spiral? Inquiring minds want to know. The spiraling is cool.

Back