moved - Sorghum extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuckertonrr

Reaction score
Hello,

After having tried a few extract kits, and having had some success with them, I thought of trying to make a few sorghum beers.

I have a setup for 5 gallons, but I'd like to brew only 1 gallon at a time - just so I can experiment more with less volume.

My inspiration for this comes from Dock Street brewery's now discontinued Sudan Grass beer : http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art57539.asp

My goal is not nessicarily gluten-free beer, but something with the pungent, refereshing taste of that brew.

Any thoughts/ideas to help me get started? I'd like to stick to extract batches.

Any recommendations as to yeasts, hop varieties, boiling times, etc would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

There are a lot of recipes:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=240

Most of us are trying to hide the taste of sorghum so you will probably want to try mostly sorghum syrup as your fermentables to see the taste.

Yeasts: Belle Saison, Safale US-05, Safale S-04

Hops: Cascade and Amarillo play well with sorghum syrup

100% Buckwheat honey boosts gravity and ads good character in my opinion.

I would use maltodextrin at a rate of 0.5 lb to 5 gallon batch.

I would shoot for an OG of about 1.055 to 1.060

My 2 cents ... look at the recipes on this forum, pick one that resonates and just go for it.

I agree with glutarded-chris's thoughts above, but I'd go one step further. Go try an off the shelf 100% sorghum beer first. If that twang is what you're looking for, then proceed. If it strikes you as a little too far off base for what you desire, then maybe rethink the all sorghum beer :)

Good point! New Planet and Redbridge are my suggestions to show you what you are getting into, but remember that your homebrew will likely be better.

Back