Two thermometers, two readings. What do I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crispyvelo

Reaction score
Not sure how to deal with this....

image.jpg

Check the calibration of both in crushed-ice/water mix. There needs to be just enough water to fill all the space so mostly ice.

My money is on the thermapen

Uh... Follow the thermapen's number since it's one of he most accurate thermometers available.

It is also worth checking the high end as well as the calibration might not have a linear offset that is incorrect but rather an issue with gain. If you bring a pot of water to a boil it should read 212 f (adjusted for elevation and what not if you care to be that accurate). As others have said I would trust the theramapen over the webber.

I remember reading a calibration note recently that stated for the freezing point to "fill a foam cup full of ice and place it in the fridge, then once the ice is melted, the liquid should be at 32F." I have always used ice/water with no issues. Matter of fact on my Brewmometer, it was dead nuts on ice water and boiling water.

I remember reading a calibration note recently that stated for the freezing point to "fill a foam cup full of ice and place it in the fridge, then once the ice is melted, the liquid should be at 32F." I have always used ice/water with no issues. Matter of fact on my Brewmometer, it was dead nuts on ice water and boiling water.

No that's not needed. The ice if it is all melted will result in stratification in the sample.

The idea is to have ice and just enough water to eliminate any airspaces and provide a stable media to sample the temperature. The ice should fill the vessel and not be floating. In this way any added heat to the sample will only result in more melting ice and not an increase in temperature of the water which will remain at 32F.

Back