Is my smack-pack of yeast ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDoBleedBrew

Reaction score
So I ordered the VandalEyes PA 5-gallon kit a little less than 2 months ago. I've had the smack pack of yeast in the fridge this whole time, but it arrived a little swollen and it has swollen tight and stayed that way the whole 2 months. I planned on brewing this some time back, but I've been doing several small batches in the mean time. Anyways... the smack pack is so swollen that I have no idea how I could locate the nutrient pack inside and even if I could... I feel like trying to smack it would burst the entire pack.

I was planning on making my yeast starter tomorrow so I could brew it this weekend. What would you guys suggest? Should I just try the starter without the nutrient pack? Or should I cut it open and add the nutrient pack when I add the yeast? Should I be concerned that the pack is already swollen and just run by the homebrew store and pick up another one?

I had a 1056 do the same thing to me the other week. I opened the bag then cut the nutrient pack and poured it into the yeast. The nutrient pack had a fair amount of pressure in it. I didn't see much exciting happen in the yeast while I was brewing so I just ended up tossing it and using a different one. It was weird out of the 5 wyeast packs I bought at the same time that one was the only one that did that.

Bummer! I may just pick another one up while I'm out tomorrow... just in case.

If it was swollen, and is still swollen it's more than likely that the nutrient pouch was burst during transport. If the date on your yeast is still viable, you're good to go for a starter.

I was going to say the same thing. Put the lot in a starter to make sure they're viable & increase the cell count.

I would make a starter but I really never thought that the packs could continue to swell in the fridge, even if the nutrient pack was broken.

Yeah, I'd assume if it's swollen the nutrient portion was opened sometime and the yeast is viable. Make a starter to be sure. 1/2 cup of DME and some water is less than a new smack pack.

All of the packs of WY 1056 that I have used were swollen to some degree. They did perform as expected.

This is from Wyeasts FAQ:
1. The Wyeast package at my LHBS is slightly swollen. Is it still OK to use?

Yes. Trace levels of fermentable carbohydrates or CO2 in yeast slurries at the time of packaging may cause a slight expansion in packages. “Off gassing” is a result of a small amount of metabolism or simply CO2 being released from the media and can occur with proper storage. This does not indicate the mishandling of the product or a decline in the health or purity of the culture. Some strains, including 1056 and 1388, are more prone to “off gassing” than others.

Hmm good to know for future reference. Are they talking the nutrient pack or main pack? The problem mine had was the nutrient pack swole up like a golf ball and was rock hard. I poked it with a little knife to pop it and then dumped the nutrient into the yeast. It was crazy to cause all the packs looked the exact same when I got them out of the fridge at the LHBS, but by the time I got home 20 mins later that one was blown right up. I thought at first it got crushed by a couple lbs of grain or something!!

The entire pack is swollen as tight as you would expect it to swell after you've let it come to room temp, burst the nutrient pack, shaken it all up and let it sit for about 3 or 4 hours. That is what I've always done, but it has been this way in the fridge. I assume it may have ruptured the nutrient pack inside. We'll see this afternoon. I'll pick up a dry ale yeast while I'm out and about today... just in case.

Hmm good to know for future reference. Are they talking the nutrient pack or main pack? The problem mine had was the nutrient pack swole up like a golf ball and was rock hard. I poked it with a little knife to pop it and then dumped the nutrient into the yeast. It was crazy to cause all the packs looked the exact same when I got them out of the fridge at the LHBS, but by the time I got home 20 mins later that one was blown right up. I thought at first it got crushed by a couple lbs of grain or something!!

From Wyeast, (shortened version): The nutrient pack probably developed a pin hole leak. Yeast entering the nutrient pack resulted in the pack swelling and at the same time sealing the hole.

Interesting. Well thanks for that. I picked up a vile of ale yeast while I was out. I'll still try making the starter to see how it goes. Hopefully it is alright. If so... I can save the vile for my next batch. If not... I've got a backup. I'll report back if it is alright.

Well there is at least a little bit of activity. Some time over night I had a krausen form. It is hard to tell how it is going from my untrained eye though. I guess we can wait and see how big of a yeast cake we have after cold crashing. I'll give it another 24 hours before cold crashing though.

vzzin9.jpg

sbh650.jpg

I'm not getting anywhere near the visible activity that I have on my past few starters though... with my last one there was no doubt some visible activity:
aahrad.jpg

Unless all the activity happened last night and I just missed it.

My recent Wyeast arrived quite swollen, refrigerated three weeks, made 1L starter and had some foam but no crazy krausen. The pitch 14 hrs after making starter was going strong in fermenter within 12 hrs, and it worked just ab-fab. I think you will be fine.

Well I cold crashed and it looks like maybe half as much as I normally get out of a starter. I don't have time to do a starter with my White Labs California Ale yeast. I was thinking about throwing them both in there, but I wonder... if there is a problem with the first Wyeast 1056 American Ale... will the White Labs yeast pick up on that and go dormant as well or would it be alright?

Well I cold crashed and it looks like maybe half as much as I normally get out of a starter. I don't have time to do a starter with my White Labs California Ale yeast. I was thinking about throwing them both in there, but I wonder... if there is a problem with the first Wyeast 1056 American Ale... will the White Labs yeast pick up on that and go dormant as well or would it be alright?

If I was in your shoes I would pitch the starter, wait 72 hours and if nothing picked up I'd throw in the WLP(001 i assume) and that should do it.

Well while I thought it may be a goner, and the starter seemed to have mild results compared to some of my past starters... I think it may have been alright after all. About 5 hours after pitching it was fairly quiet. Just an hour later, it seems to be pretty darn active just 6 hours after pitching. Good to see. I may not have to use the backup yeast after all.

ng4oqv.jpg

About the only beef I have with smack packs is smacking them the right way to burst the nutrient pack without popping the sealed pin hole used to fill it. Or getting 2-3 nutrient packs folded over inside & they won't break.

I would say without a doubt that it is doing just fine. So just because the packet is already swollen up like a balloon doesn't mean that it isn't any good.

Here we are 14 hours after pitching:
2ujgu2r.jpg

I just had exactly the same issue over the weekend, after reading this thread and calling Northern Brewer I decided to use mine(2 batches-both packs swelled) and they both seem to be good. Good activity in both fermentors.

I've always loved the Wyeast; I've received some swollen; I've had some not swell; I've never had issue with lag times or the beer made with them, possibly due to ALWAYS making a starter, if only to really wake up the yeast. It looks great, @IDoBleedBrew

Back