Wood working magazines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowirenut

Reaction score
I remember as a kid dad subscribing to several magazines that would have plans in them for different projects. In searching I have found several that have them but unsure what one is "best".

I am looking for general projects. I am not to the point of making fine furniture but would like plans for outdoor projects, cubbies for mud rooms and other fun items.

Anyone subscribe to such magazines?

Woodworker's Journal is probably the best one I've come across. Usually several sets of plans in each issue, ranging from simple toys to grandfather clocks.

I get Woodsmith. Each month's issue features several projects, basic to complex. The plans are very detailed and clear, with cutting diagrams, exploded views, and list of component suppliers in the back. Lots of shop tips and plans for shop jigs. It has something for every skill level.

Fine Woodworking is the best in my opinion.

Fine Woodworking is great. The projects are generally of advanced nature, but the plans are solid and the projects are pretty high end. Love the gallery of completed projects at the back.

Stay away from anything that calls itself a "woodworking" magazine but is mostly just selling you band saw cutout "art".

It's been many years since I've really flipped through the mags though. Once I got my mustang I've been focused on auto tools. And beermaking...

I found woodsmith has a trial offer. So I am trying that one fist. Thanks for the help and advice.

Also wanted to add that Fine Woodworking/Fine Homebuilding's annual tool review is by far the best.
You can tell its the most impartial out there and has nothing to do with who buys the most ad space from them.
I look forward to it every year.

If you're just looking for plans, they are thousands of freebies on the webz. No need to subscribe to anything. Some of then are a bit hokey, but there some good ones as well.

I subscribe to Family Handyman magazine. It's got a lot of great ideas for a variety of things. Off the top of my head I remember a full sized entertainment center complete with hidden storage compartments, a full on shed, garage organization and storage ideas (many of which I've implemented), garden benches, Adirondack chairs, many different types of workbenches some of which are moveable, tools and jigs to make other woodworking projects easier such as a collapsible table that will extend the working surface of a contractors table saw, etc.

And even beyond that, they have tips and tricks for all kinds of other stuff like plumbing, electrical, storage ideas.... But some of my favorite parts are where readers write in some of the things they've done to simplify or organize their workshop. I've given a subscription to a few friends as a first house housewarming gift, and only one has not renewed it.

Back