Yeast dilemma, re-pitch again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tborow

Reaction score
I brewed 2 batches this weekend. 1 kicked off just fine and the other hasn't seemed to have done much yet. I used some BRY-97 from a LHBS that had a BBD of 5/2015. Pitched it Saturday afternoon and I didn't see any activity 24 hours later so I went back to the store and the guy gave me another BRY-97 with the same date free and suggested I pitch that again (I was skeptical). I did this yesterday and it has almost been another 24 hours. I'm getting little to no airlock activity. I did buy some liquid yeast and I'm debating on whether or not I should pitch this here shortly.

At what point will my batch become a total loss? Should I pitch the liquid yeast that I bought? If I pitch again with the liquid yeast, do I need aerate the wort or can I just dump it in?

Are you fermenting in a bucket or carboy? Sounds like it may be a bucket when you say there is little airlock activity. Buckets typically do not seal. The CO2 being produced by an active fermentation escapes around the rim of the bucket. Sometimes there will be no CO2 produced bubbles at all. Open the bucket to look for krausen, or shine a flash light, from the opposite side, to look for a foamy line above the beer.
The yeast should have started, even without rehydration. What is the OG of your beer? What is the temperature of the wort?

I brewed 2 batches this weekend. 1 kicked off just fine and the other hasn't seemed to have done much yet. I used some BRY-97 from a LHBS that had a BBD of 5/2015. Pitched it Saturday afternoon and I didn't see any activity 24 hours later so I went back to the store and the guy gave me another BRY-97 with the same date free and suggested I pitch that again (I was skeptical). I did this yesterday and it has almost been another 24 hours. I'm getting little to no airlock activity. I did buy some liquid yeast and I'm debating on whether or not I should pitch this here shortly.

At what point will my batch become a total loss? Should I pitch the liquid yeast that I bought? If I pitch again with the liquid yeast, do I need aerate the wort or can I just dump it in?

You should not use air lock activity as the determining factor in ascertaining if the yeast are working. Check for the presence of a krausen or use your hydrometer.
Things that help your yeast get started are yeast nutrient, oxygenation prior to pitching. I have only used BRY-97 once before and do not recall an excessive lag time during fermentation. I am certain that your two sachet of pitched yeast will do the trick for you. RDWHAHB

Last edited:
Mate, I've had this issue more that onice with Bry-97. I went through two packets with one brew, both of them were duds. Don't get me wrong, I love that yeast, but I always start it properly now just to know that it's alive before I pitch it. Have a look inside; if there's foam and sh*t bubbling away, you're in business, if not pitch someone else. I agree that the airlock, whilst satisfying to watch and listen too, is no reliable measurement for fermentation activity.

I have used bry-97 and it took 36 hours for krausen to show, not much air lock activity but was fully fermented out in three days.

I would take a gravity reading to make sure nothing is happening.

Yep, I've got it fermenting in a bucket. My thermometer is showing 72 degrees right now. I know I shouldn't go by airlock activity but it was a little aggravating when I've got another bucket right next to it bubbling away haha.

I'll have to take a grav reading. I couldn't find my hydrometer when I finished the boil. I pitched @ 70-75 degrees after boil. I made it into a starter as suggested on the back of the packet. When I went back to the LHBS the guy told me to just dump it in like any other dry yeast and to not start it with water -- that's what I did the 2nd time. I have never used this particular yeast. I will use liquid yeast the next time I've got a recipe that calls for it.

I'm getting more action now and I am happy! Thanks for the responses and reassurance!

Latest posts

Back