Dirty Air lock water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jellyhead

Reaction score
Hello Gang.

I was just bottling my 3rd Homebrew (samson cider) and I forgot to take the air lock out and some of the water from the air lock has gone it to the mix.:mad:

I finished bottling anyway but is there any point as now it is contaminated.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::confused:

Is there a chance it will be ok??

It wasnt Sanitizer. It was just water.

Just have to try it in two or three weeks.:eek:

Thanks for the replies :D

Hello Gang.

I was just bottling my 3rd Homebrew (samson cider) and I forgot to take the air lock out and some of the water from the air lock has gone it to the mix.:mad:

I finished bottling anyway but is there any point as now it is contaminated.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::confused:

Is there a chance it will be ok??

Assuming this happened post fermentation, the alcohol present in the cider will be working in your favor. I wouldn't stress it.

I like to use cheap vodka instead of water or sanitizer. Using only an ounce at a time, one bottle lasts many batches. If it gets in my beer, I'm not worried about nasties from water or sanitizer getting in my beer. The vodka also comes in handy for making extract additions like vanilla, oak, etc.

The OG was 1040 and the FG was .996. I think that comes to 5.78% ABV.
I didnt think it would be as High abv as that??

So hopefully the Alchol in it will take care of any germs? :rockin:

When I realized what happend I almost lost my temper and was going to ditch the lot down the sink. hahahaha!
:mug:

I doubt there is enough water in an airlock to make a difference. Considering the beer already has alcohol plus the large volume of liquid. In a 5 gallon batch if airlock water drained out it would account for something like .00156% of the product.

It would be interesting to test the water from an airlock that has sit for two weeks and up to a month. I'd guess that it doesn't become infected sitting in a plastic airlock.

Back