Simcoe and Amarillo don't go well together!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
I thought that title might raise some eyebrows.

I just made a 5 gallon 8% IPA with 7oz Simcoe and 7oz Amarillo, and I think these hops really clash with one another! Simcoe is so piney and Amarillo is so fruity (blueberry is what comes to my mind). Is there anyone out there who agrees with this?!

That's a lot of hops. I use these two in a pale ale. It's a great one. But no where near that amount.

I use that combo a lot- but usually 1/2 the amount of simcoe as amarillo, and I've never used that many of them in a 5 gallon batch. I do like the combination.

Clearly you're off your rocker :D
Seriously, it's one of my favorite combos too, both in commercial beers and for homebrewing. A favorite house beer is a single malt maris otter with 50/50 split of simcoe/amarillo at 10, hopstand, and dry hop.

Pfft- don't listen! 8% is a big beer, 14oz is perfectly acceptable- I made my EnjoyBy clone with almost 20oz of hops- 8oz in the dry hop alone! Turned out spectacular.

I'd make another beer with 75% amarillo, 25% simcoe at the same rates, and see how you like it- then you can slide the scale up or down- these two make great partners-

I expected the "you're insane!" comments but the idea to do 1/2 or 1/4 the Simcoe per ounce of Amarillo is an interesting one. I will try that!

This is the combo in Sculpin, which when fresh ranks among the best IPAs I have ever had, and my own experiments have been great. However, one batch can always turn out funny and let's be honest about taste--we don't share always share it.

Lol...everyone relax, I don't see ANY hate going on here. My initial impression was that it was 14oz of hops IN THE BOIL, which also elicited the "that's a lot of hops!" reaction from me. If OP meant in total, including dry hops, that's on par with several other widely circulated clone recipes (Pliny for instance).

I also like that combination btw, but at 50/50 it could get bit murky and might take some time for the flavors to meld together. I generally use Simcoe for bittering big IPAs and then a small fraction of it for finishing hops, using things like Centennial, Willamette, Amarillo etc in larger fractions.

I've overhopped beer before and this sounds like the case.

Also I know a lot of people mention pine from Simcoe being dominant but that's the opposite for me. I get more citrus from those hops. I can't say for Amarillo as I bought a pound and haven't used any yet.

Thread title should be changed to two hops don't go together when excessive and unnecessary amounts are used.

We just did judging today on a contest for the local home brewers, the winner would get to work with me and scale their beer up to 2 bbl to serve at the brewery's tap room and possibly go into production if the response was sufficient. The winning beer was a Session IPA that used Apollo, Simcoe and Amarillo. The ratio was much different, though; 4:1 Amarillo to Simcoe, Apollo was used as battering only. It was a lovely beer

I will be brewing a recipe I came up with at some point, an IPA using Simcoe, Amarillo, and Mosaic hops. I am now adjusting the hops so there is half the amount of Simcoe compared to the amounts used of the other hops.

Thanks for the guidance, oh wise ones of HBT!

Wait; WHAT?!?!

I think you probably needed more hops! :rockin:

Carry on :mug:

Truth. My latest 1.070 "Memorial Day" IPA went as follows:

1.00 oz Warrior - Boil 60.0 min
1.25 oz Mosaic - Boil 10.0 min
1.25 oz Nelson Sauvin - Boil 10.0 min
1.25 oz Mosaic - Boil 5.0 min
1.25 oz Nelson Sauvin - Boil 5.0 min
1.15 oz El Dorado - Boil 5.0 min
1.50 oz Nelson Sauvin - Boil 0.0 min (60 min hopstand)
1.25 oz Mosaic - Boil 0.0 min (60 min hopstand)

2.00 oz Mosaic - Dry Hop
2.00 oz Nelson Sauvin - Dry Hop
1.00 oz El Dorado - Dry Hop

Back