3 Hours for yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_Burbank

Reaction score
I prepared my wort and beer and was to the point of pitching the yeast when I realized I hadn't broken the package yet and it needs to set for 3 hours. Is it okay to have the beer cooling in my large pot for 3 hours, and then re-heating it to 70 degrees around 3 hours and adding the yeast?

No need to smack the pack really, it's more just to verify the viability of the yeast. Just smack it if you want and pitch when at temp

What specific strain of yeast are you using that it needs to have the wort at 70 degrees for pitching? Most of my ales are cooled to the low 60's when I pitch the yeast and one variety does better if I cool to the upper 50's.

Wyeast Direct Pitch Activator for brewing

1056 American Ale

I think most people would tell you you want to be in the range of 60 to 65 for the Chico strain for a clean ferment. 70 is too high unless you are trying to bring out esters from the yeast.

Yeast mfrs want you to pitch at 70 to minimize lag time. They think you are simple minded, and a short lag time will make you happy. Ignore them, pitch low to mid 60s, and go for good beer. That's what makes us happy.

Back