No gravity changes after 72 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seb290

Reaction score
Hi guys, my first all grain batch is not fermenting. I had a OG of 1064 after boil and my latest check up at 72 hours still 1.064. It's a 6GL batch pitched 2 pack of US-05 rehydrated, in good condition. My temp room is 66F, I never saw Krausen or bubble from my blowoff tube.

We had a problem at the mash. We have a 5GL mash tun and the recipe was 6.5kg of grains. We didn't have enough space for the 3liters/1kg grains. Perhaps our mash temp have been always the same during 75 min 155F. Is it possible to reach a 1.064 OG without fermentable sugar in the wort?

Thanks for the answer! We want this to work!

What temp was the wort when you pitched the yeast? Did you have a method to cool it down?

How sure are you of your mash temp?

Is it possible the grains were ever hotter than 170F at the beginning of the mash?

always had a thermometer in the mash all the time, measuring different spot in the tun.

Are you measuring the gravity with a hydrometer or a refractometer? The refrac isn't accurate when alcohol is present. Although you'd think it would have changed a little bit.

When you rehydrated the yeast, did you get any foaming? What temp was the water you pitched into ?
I'm thinking that there will be ferment ambles of some sort whatever went on.
I'm thinking you killed the yeast before it entered the wort?
If it's a yeast issue you can re pitch !
Have you been set up ?
Are you setting us all up ?

After 96 hours The fermentation start! Is it normal took so long? What could be the reason?

A guess, when you rehydrated you killed a good amount of the yeast by -
A. Too hot of a rehydrate temp
B. Bad water that rehydrated some but killed others
C. An old pack that somehow was very bad viability.

Also, after 96 hours, you may be looking at a different yeast than you pitched taking over.

Back