C02 Regular Issue - whats broken?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjkugler

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a typical c02 regular. It is this one:

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/co2-regulator-dual-gauge-heavy-duty-pro-series.html

My issue is that when its all hooked up the rig isn't working according to the controls. I'll describe this as a step-by-step.

1) Everyone is hooked up but gas from the tank is off and the adjustment to the line is also all the way out to the negative (off)
2) I turn the tank to open which flows gas into the regulator.
3) The high pressure gauge starts to show the pressure of the tank.
4) At this point I would expect the low pressure gauge to show nothing since the adjustment is to off, however it begins to show the needle go up and around until it hits the 70psi mark. It is as though I have the line set to full pressure but the line pressure is still in the off position.

I'm trying to figure out if the whole regulator is garbage now? Its a $50 object when bought new so is it worth trying to figure this out? I went to the local c02 distributor with my rig today but its a holiday weekend and the were closed. Go figure.

:ban:

I don't mean this in a demoralizing way but. Are you sure the pressure set knob isn't set to wide open? Like have you tried turning the knob to + or - to see if the gas goes down? Also you can pull the bleed pin to let all the gas escape that's built up and set the pressure you want. Hope I'm making sense, just had back surgery and I, all jacked up on pain meds.

Yes I'm definitely sure its all the way in the out position to the negative/off position.

When I pull the pin to release the pressure from the regulator,it shows relief, but then goes all the way back to max on the low pressure gauge after the relief valve goes back in.

I have had a few friends double check the situation is as described. A second pair of eyes is always good even though this seemed like a straightforward issue. not many levers here to play with.

And it's hooked up to a keg??? If so, At this point I would think you have a faulty regulator and need to replace it.

Thats great info about the rebuild kit. I didn't know that existed. It looks like the kits seem similar but all seem to be for a specific manufacturer. I think this will give me a direction to go in.

Thanks all!

Back