chiller/condenser in one convenient bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puttster

Reaction score
I've decided I need a chiller but I would like it to also serve as a condenser for making alcohol.

For the chiller, I would like to make the usual kind, the circled copper tube you set into the pot that (unfortunately for distillation, has both ends of the tube coming out of the top.
For the distilling I would ideally like the tube to circle through a bucket filled with water and come out a valve near the bottom.

I'm having trouble figuring out what fittings would make it work. I was at the hardware store today, couldn't come up with anything. Any thoughts or links that could guide me?

puttster

Not to put a damper on your plan but asking about distilling here is generally frowned upon. Afraid you're better off asking elsewhere.

Not to put a damper on your plan but asking about distilling here is generally frowned upon. Afraid you're better off asking elsewhere.

If you can't help with my question on chiller design maybe you should chill out, bub. You might have been a great hall monitor in sixth grade but those skills are not needed so much in a DIY home brewers forum for grownups

If you can't help with my question on chiller design maybe you should chill out, bub.
Try not to get offended mate, not my rules, not my forum. I just know anything mildly related to distillation gets nuked on here since it is technically illegal in *most* places and the guy who runs the site doesn't want grief (understandably). That being said, there are loads of of threads on making chillers (and condensers elsewhere); check out ye olde search bar...

I've decided I need a chiller but I would like it to also serve as a condenser for making alcohol.

For the chiller, I would like to make the usual kind, the circled copper tube you set into the pot that (unfortunately for distillation, has both ends of the tube coming out of the top.
For the distilling I would ideally like the tube to circle through a bucket filled with water and come out a valve near the bottom.

I'm having trouble figuring out what fittings would make it work. I was at the hardware store today, couldn't come up with anything. Any thoughts or links that could guide me?

puttster

As mentioned, @ the bottom of the page, re: "Forum jump", and you'll see an avenue that might take you to the info you seek.

:mug:

Back