Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclight

Reaction score
I brew a big beer Stone Matt’s Burning Rosids Clone.
I am still new and learning my sg 1.109. am now down to 1.60 after two weeks. am not sure what to do. How can I bring my gravity down?

thanks

Large beers can take time, not only because of the high OG, but the yeast used. Some yeasts will a few weeks to finish, even after a very active start to the fermentation.

Will need details of the brewing process to be able to offer advice. Recipe, mash temperature, yeast, starter size, fermentation temperature, etc.

Stone Matt’s Burning Rosids Clone
Saison (10 H)Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.25 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.50 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.50 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Date: 09/05/15
Brewer: Edward
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: My Equipment 1
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.4 %
Taste Rating: 30.0

Taste Notes:

Prepare for Brewing

Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment
Total Water Needed: 9.89 gal

Mash or Steep Grains
Mash Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (4.0 SRM) Grain 1 56.5 %
5 lbs Cherrywood Smoked Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 21.7 %
2 lbs Red wheat malt (2.3 SRM) Grain 3 8.7 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4 8.7 %
Mash Steps Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 27.50 qt of water at 165.4 F 150.0 F 75 min

Fly sparge with 3.02 gal water at 168.0 F

Add water to achieve boil volume of 7.25 gal
Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.094 SG
Boil Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.50 oz Hallertau Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 42.8 IBUs
1.10 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.50 oz Hersbrucker [2.75 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 4.2 IBUs
1 lbs Honey [Boil for 10 min](1.0 SRM) Sugar 8 4.3 %
1.00 oz Hersbrucker [2.75 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Estimated Post Boil Vol: 6.50 gal and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.109 SG
Cool and Transfer Wort
Cool wort to fermentation temperature
Transfer wort to fermenter temp @ 78
Add water if needed to achieve final volume of 5.50 gal
Pitch Yeast and Measure Gravity and Volume
Fermentation Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.0 pkg Belgian Saison (Wyeast Labs #3724)

Measure Actual Original Gravity _______ (Target: 1.109 SG)

I should have learn about yeast starters, or pitch two vile, after brewing this beer I SHOULD HAVE HAD 276 BILLION cells and I only started with 100 billion.

Did you use WY 3724? Did you have good control of your mash temperature keeping the temp at or just below 150°? Have you kept your beer in the primary? What has been your fermentation temperatures?

WY 3724 is a very slow to finish yeast. Your beer may not be lost even though it was under pitched. Without some other details, I would say, give it more time.

This is Wyeasts description of the yeast:
Usually slow to attenuate. Apparent attenuation: 76-80%. Flocculation: low. Optimum temp: 70°-85° F

mash temp was in control +- 4 deg, Yes i used WY 3724, and my temp is at 78, I was thinking about warming it up a little, yes I did read that as well. first two strong fermentation.

Thank you for the input, I started to warm the carboy up, looks like we have lift off and some activity, we are at 80 deg and going to try to hold at 80.

any thoughts would like to here them.

thanks

mash temp was in control +- 4 deg, Yes i used WY 3724, and my temp is at 78, I was thinking about warming it up a little, yes I did read that as well. first two strong fermentation.

When I used 3724, I thought I had a stuck fermentation around 1.035. The recipe had an OG of about 1.080 for a imperial dark saison. There was a ton of airlock activity for 1-2 weeks, then it slowed down greatly. After some discussion with my brew buddies, I found out its very typical for the yeast strand. You need to apply some heat to get it going strong again.

With that being said, I wrapped the primary in a heated blanket, applying heat as much as possible. It was in the 80s, low 90s. After about 6 weeks, the gravity was down to about 1.010, and I kegged it up. It probably could have dropped a little further, but I got a little impatient.

The result was a very memorable dark saison with a ton of character. However since then, I don't use that yeast strain for my saisons anymore. I stick with 3711 or belle saison dry yeast because they drop gravity a lot faster and applying heat is more of an "option" instead of a necessity.

Thank you for the input that is what am doing now and is working. i also under pitch in yeast so that did not help things out.

once again thanks for the input i still have hope.

For sure i will share what I happens good or bad, so we all can learn some thing right.

my temp is at 82 and fermentation has started again so am feeling a little better. we will have to wait and see what the out come is, will advise.

i would also like to say thanks to this site for having a place to go and ask questions and have the support.

Thank you all who support this site.

Back