Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes. generally speaking, i would say most people would say anything longer than 7 days could start turning into the "vegetal" flavors.
I typically go anywhere from 4-7 days.

Some people claim that more than 10 days and you can get a grassy taste.

I usually dry-hop for about 5 days, never have done more than 10.

Plenty of others claim to not get the grassy taste if left in longer though.

My personal experience says there isn't much change between day 5 and day 10. Kind of like by day 5 or so, you've gotten all you are going to get out of them.

Although, my experience is based on brewing a couple of identical IPAs months apart, so I had no direct taste test to base that off of. It's more of a "This tastes the same as I remember it tasting last time I brewed it."

I usually go 10 to 14. Never had a problem.

Experiment for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

I was losing my hop flavor by the end of my keg life so I dry hop in the keg. Since Iv started Iv been very pleased.

I usually leave it in the primary, 14 days in I dry hop, 21 days in I bottle. Never had an issue with grassy tastes and the hops still pack a whollup.

I cold crash, move to secondary for the dry hop and then cold crash at between 4-7 days. My dry hop is pellets straight into the carboy. Cold crash helps them drop out.

I was losing my hop flavor by the end of my keg life so I dry hop in the keg. Since Iv started Iv been very pleased.

This. If you're kegging why not dry hop in the keg? I've had hops in a keg in a hop sock for a month with no off flavors at all in fact the aroma remains fresh much longer for me keg hopping.

Back