light summer drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramptonbrewer

Reaction score
What do you think!

10lbs 2row
1lb. Caramel 20
.75 Oz Kent golding 60 min
.25 Oz Kent golding 45 min
Us05

7 day primary
7 day secondary (add 6 grapefruits sliced)
Cold crash for 48 hours
Keg

Sounds like a good basic APA. Be careful with the grapefruit or it may add a bitterness and/or acidity you don't want. May be just some grapefruit zest steeped in a little vodka. If you want something even more "summery" you could try subbing out 3 or 4 lbs of 2 row for wheat malt. I would also give it more like 14 days primary.

I've recently tried a grapefruit beer that was really easy to drink, but more importantly, my wife really enjoyed it. I will swap out the 2 row for the wheat. Do you think the hops are ok or should stick with a more citrus like flavor such as cascade or citra?

I would only use a little wheat, not swap out the whole amount of 2 row for wheat.

That is a ton of grapefruit - I would use maybe one grapefruit. A little should go a long way.

I would double my primary and secondary times, 14 days each.

I'm not swapping all the 2row, just 3 lbs. You think one grapefruit would give me enough flavor. Would I include the skin or not. I was thinking NOT. What about the hops? I've never used Kent, but I do like the way they smell.

I would go with 1 of the .75 oz. bittering additions (I would FWH) and follow up with a 1 oz. hop stand or dry hop of cascade or citra.

I really don't want to dry hop this. I want the grapefruit flavor to really come through. This is about the grapefruit for me.

I wonder if dry hopping with citra will give more of a citrus taste than adding grapefruit to the secondary. It may be closer to what you are looking for. I must admit though that I've never used grapefruit. I'd be worried about the acidity. If you do add the fruit, consider the advice about using a little. Randy Mosher advises using a subtle amount so people say, "Is that grapefruit? Wow!" instead of "whoa! What IS that!."

I agree, I don't want it to be overpowering, but I do want it be obvious what it is. I want to be sure that there is no doubt that it is grapefruit. I feel that if I dry hop with citra or cascade they will both over
power the grapecruit.

What do you think!

10lbs 2row
1lb. Caramel 20
.75 Oz Kent golding 60 min
.25 Oz Kent golding 45 min
Us05

That looks like my house ale recipe but I usually do the Goldings at .5@60/.25@30/.25@0 with no grapefruit... not a light beer though at about 7%.
:mug:

You think one grapefruit would give me enough flavor. Would I include the skin or not. I was thinking NOT.

My advice is based on an orange blonde ale that I make 15 gallons of every summer, so take it for what is worth.

1oz of dried sweet orange PEEL in the boil 45 minutes.
0.5oz Centennial hops at 60, 30 and flameout.

Then the zest of ONE large navel orange as a dry hop for 10 days.
Just the outer orange zest, NOT the white pith material. The pith is VERY bitter.

The resulting beer is light and refreshing with good bitterness and a nice orange aroma and finish.

Grapefruit is more acidity, so I would go with the "less is more" approach until you dial it in.

My advice is based on an orange blonde ale that I make 15 gallons of every summer, so take it for what is worth.

1oz of dried sweet orange PEEL in the boil 45 minutes.
0.5oz Centennial hops at 60, 30 and flameout.

Then the zest of ONE large navel orange as a dry hop for 10 days.
Just the outer orange zest, NOT the white pith material. The pith is VERY bitter.

The resulting beer is light and refreshing with good bitterness and a nice orange aroma and finish.

Grapefruit is more acidity, so I would go with the "less is more" approach until you dial it in.

Thanks Brewkinger,

I think this is the process I'm going to try. It's better to go with something that already works and tweak it from there. So I will try your approach, except with grapefruit. I will post back in a few weeks how it turns out. Wish me luck!

Grapefruit peel in the boil at 5 to 15 minutes. The pith is bitter but good.

So I brewed this last night. Final recipe was.

8# 2row
3# wheat malt
2# caramel 10
1 oz grapefruit peel at 45
.5 E.K. Goldings @60
.25 E.K. Goldings @ 30
.25 E.K. Goldings @ 0

safale us05

preboil gravity 1034
OG 1052

I will add 1 Grapefruit in secondary.

tasted gravity sample and it was little sweet, but pretty good.

So I brewed this last night. Final recipe was.

8# 2row
3# wheat malt
2# caramel 10
1 oz grapefruit peel at 45
.5 E.K. Goldings @60
.25 E.K. Goldings @ 30
.25 E.K. Goldings @ 0

safale us05

preboil gravity 1034
OG 1052

I will add 1 Grapefruit in secondary.

tasted gravity sample and it was little sweet, but pretty good.

That's close to what I did for a summer wheat a couple years ago except for the grapefruit. But I did the Brooklyn Brew Ship grapefruit pale a couple of times, and it's good. So this is a good combination.

I've recently tried a grapefruit beer that was really easy to drink, but more importantly, my wife really enjoyed it. I will swap out the 2 row for the wheat. Do you think the hops are ok or should stick with a more citrus like flavor such as cascade or citra?

This beer you tried, and wich your wife enjoyed, was that also a homebrew or was it a commercial beer? If homebrew maybe you could get the recipe, and if commercial there might already be a clone? just a thought?

Cheers

This beer you tried, and wich your wife enjoyed, was that also a homebrew or was it a commercial beer? If homebrew maybe you could get the recipe, and if commercial there might already be a clone? just a thought?

Cheers

it was commercial, but it was only a 2.5 abv. so not really interested in cloning. we just enjoyed the flavor. We'll see how this turns out in a few weeks.

since this is my first attempt at using fruit. what method would you guys and gals recommend. should i boil the fruit or soak it in vodka to kill off any bacteria or wild yeast. either way, would i use the skin and the pith also, or just use the flesh of the fruit. my lhbs is out of the grapefruit extract. so that is not an option for this batch.
any help or advise is as always greatly appreciated.

I just made a grapefruit peach beer. Peaches kind of faded and let the grapefruit shine. I like seadog sunfish. Reason I brewed this fruit beer.

Next time I'm doubling the peaches.

I used 1 can of frozen grapefruit concentrate. Added it to the secondary. Worked out fine.

For your recipe I would cut back on the caramel to .5lbs and increase the 2 row to 10lbs

Good luck

I just made a grapefruit peach beer. Peaches kind of faded and let the grapefruit shine. I like seadog sunfish. Reason I brewed this fruit beer.

Next time I'm doubling the peaches.

I used 1 can of frozen grapefruit concentrate. Added it to the secondary. Worked out fine.

For your recipe I would cut back on the caramel to .5lbs and increase the 2 row to 10lbs

Good luck

frozen grapefruit concentrate? just poured it straight from the can? this is the first time I've tried this recipe. I will tweek it as I go.

The only fruit beer I've ever brewed was a Mango blonde. I used the frozen chunk mango from Costco. Puréed in blender and racked into secondary on top of the mango. Used a Muslin bag to filter into bottling bucket after 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back