Speed up carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
Hi,
I kegged an IPA last Sat, I typically use the "set it and forget it method", so I set the pressure to 30 psi, purged out the o2 and turned the pressure down to about 12 psi and let sit in the keezer. I though I had about 2 weeks before I needed this beer, but found out I will be pouring it this Sunday. As of yesterday it still seemed pretty flat, I will test it again tomorrow, and if still flat, what is the best way to speed it up? Do I just set the pressure a little higher or are there some other tricks I can try to speed it up? Thought about shaking, but figured that might just take what ever c02 is in solution and bring it out, plus stir up sediment.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

connect the gas to the liquid output so that the co2 is getting shot to the bottom of the keg and agitate it so that you can hear the gas bubbling up through the keg. once it stops bubbling agitate it again and again until the bubbling starts to slow substantially or almost stops altogether. once this happens you've reached (or at least come close to) equilibrium, which means you're carbonated. depending on how labor intensive you're willing to make it, could take from a couple of hours to an entire day.

Raise psi to 30 psi for 24 hours then drop to serving pressure and let it sit. Should be decently carbonated in about 3 days and well Carbonated by Sunday. Not a big fan of the shaking method as you risk some backflow into your regulator tubing.

At what temp are you carbing? I do 10psi at 38F for a week and its ready. I have to admit that I'm adding more head space for CO2 as the week progresses. ;)

Make sure beer is chilled to 38-40 *F or whatever your fridge temp is. Put your liquid coupling on the gas line and hook up to the liquid out post of the keg. Raise to 30 psi and let sit for 40-48 hours. Disconnect air and purge. Reconnect air to air in and set to serving pressure. Check for desired carbonation.

In the future, you should look into one of these:
http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Carbonation_lid_for_Cornelius_Keg_p/carb-lid.htm

In fact I don't even bother with the lid. I connect one these with 18" of gas tubing to my CO2 in port: http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Carbonator_Stone_5_Micron_p/carb5.htm and let it go at around 14 psi over night (the extra 2 psi is to compensate for the pressure differential required by the stone) at around 8 Deg C. Sometimes it is fully carb'd in a day. Sometimes it takes 2 days.
I have never over-carbed with this method

In fact I don't even bother with the lid. I connect one these with 18" of gas tubing to my CO2 in port: http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Carbonator_Stone_5_Micron_p/carb5.htm and let it go at around 14 psi over night (the extra 2 psi is to compensate for the pressure differential required by the stone) at around 8 Deg C. Sometimes it is fully carb'd in a day. Sometimes it takes 2 days.

Are you using a clamp to connect the hose to the CO2 port or just reaching in with your hand and pushing it on and friction holds it?

I use a SS clamp to hold the hose onto the stone and the post of the CO2 inlet. After the keg kicks, if I have another beer that is ready to be kegged, I give everything a quick once over with water and sanitizer just to rinse it all out and away I go. If the keg has to sit for a while (rare), then I do a really good soak in some cleaner and sanitize with Starsan or Iodophor (whatever I happen to have on hand at the time). You can also boil the stone if you need to.
I also check the clamps for signs of crud or impurities before/after each batch.

Raise psi to 30 psi for 24 hours then drop to serving pressure and let it sit. Should be decently carbonated in about 3 days and well Carbonated by Sunday. Not a big fan of the shaking method as you risk some backflow into your regulator tubing.

Yep, that's exactly right. If you just turn it up today to 30 psi and leave that for 24 hours, then purge and reset to 12 psi, it will easily be ready by Sunday.

I wouldn't do anything else, like carbing through the "out" post (posts can stick on there, plus you'll stir up all the sediment), or shake, or overcarb, etc. You have plenty of time to set it at 30 psi for 24 hours, then purge and reset appropriately.

oh and I just leave the hose/stone assembly in the beer until the keg kicks. I spoke with the OBK people about their recommendations with this, and they told me that was what they did. I figured if it worked for them, then it should work for me. So far, so good.

IMO, that thing is a waste of money. I used mine twice and went back to just hooking up to the posts. No mess or change out. Does the same job with no additional cost. Mine now collects dust in a closet.

IMO, that thing is a waste of money. I used mine twice and went back to just hooking up to the posts. No mess or change out. Does the same job with no additional cost. Mine now collects dust in a closet.

Check out craigtube/youtube.com. he has a method that will carb your beer in about 30 mins. involves a little shaking./

Great, thanks for all the replies! I am going to check it after work today and set it back to 30 PSI for 24 hours, then back down. Do you think it would be okay if it is left for a little longer (my brewery is not at my place :()

Thanks

meh. works for me. I use it all the time.
That's what's funny about this hobby. Some people's dust collecting "junk" is somebody else's essential component.

At what temp are you carbing? I do 10psi at 38F for a week and its ready. I have to admit that I'm adding more head space for CO2 as the week progresses. ;)

Is that what the expression "give head" means ??? ;-)

I'm using the tap-a-draft system which fits in my fridge well and is inexpensive....... A poor man's keg. I hook up to the CO2 bottle out in the shop using a carbonater cap, and about 22 PSI......... as much as I dare. It takes about 5 minutes of shaking to fully carbonate. I have a "sling" attached to the ceiling with a bungee, so I don't have to hold the bottle.... It gets old shaking a gallon and a half of liquid!! I leave it in the fridge for about 12 hours to absorb most of the pressure, and often pour right out of the bottle when I don't have a tap available.

H.W.

I find this calculator the best for me. Force carb calculator

It takes me around 10 minutes to carb a keg perfectly every time by using this calculator. Simply set pressure, rock keg on floor or lap until you hear little to no bubbles going into the keg. I don't rely on the hiss of the regulator, I put my ear to the keg and listen. If I don't hear any gurgles, or it's very brief then I am done.

The best thing about this calculator, it works at any temperature.

Once you are done shaking, let keg set for a couple of hours and you are good to go. You can serve immediately, but it will be foamy.

Great, thanks for all the replies! I am going to check it after work today and set it back to 30 PSI for 24 hours, then back down. Do you think it would be okay if it is left for a little longer (my brewery is not at my place :()

Thanks

If you go more than 24 hours at 30 psi, it is very likely to overcarb (if the keg is cold), so I'd go shorter rather than longer if you have that option!

Back