Dark Mild Mild Mannered Ale (AG) (E) UK/US

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my mild kegged after two weeks. Very drinkable although very ugly. I didn't have the dark chocolate, didn't think it would make a huge difference but once I mashed in I could tell it was too light. I ran in the shop (I was brewing at the LHBS where I work) and threw some Carafa Special II in to darken it up a tad. Still came out this sewer brown color. I'm gonna pick up some of that Sinimar coloring to help darken it up some.

Other than that this is a really good recipe. This is the second time I've brewed it. Got an office party coming up and the Pres. and Vice Pres. are both English and both remember what a Mild tastes like, so I'm gonna see how I did. Kinda nervous.

Brewed this again today! Subbed half of the Chocolate malt for pale chocolate malt this time.... the first one was a bit too roasty for my personal taste. However, that is just my personal taste as the original recipe won a ribbon from a competition as I stated earlier.

Brewed this about a month ago, just like you have it. I had to use US Fuggles though. Just started drinking it. Pretty tasty mild!

I want to try it next time with EKG

I just opened my first bottle of this beer. It's a damn good beer. The only thing I did different with this beer was to use Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley ale yeast. I've never used this yeast before, and I probably won't use it again. The esters are too low as well as the flocculation. They rate its flocculation at med-low, but this stuff is like Brett. It just billows around the bottle at the lightest provocation. Still though, it is very good. Will definitely make it again.

Thanks Orfy.
mildmannered.JPG

Got my order placed this morning thanks to BMW's 12% discount along with a replacement hydrometer and some fermcap. Reading through this thread again I cannot wait to taste it, and I still have 12 days until I get to brew.

I got two taps of this going right now, one fermented with Wyeast 1028, the other 1968 (i prefer the maltier profile of the latter). Here's the two sharing one glass:

mild1.jpg

Just brewed this today.

I've been fighting 70% efficiency and today got a little over 85% so it turned out 1.047. I could not bring myself to water it down.. I'm sure it will still be great. What do you think?

What would this beer be like if I put the IBUs at 12? Because I do not like a hoppy or bitter beer? By beersmith this would still be in style. I am just wondering how it would throw the flavor off? Is this beer already (as is) a malty beer?

Anyone have an idea about this? Because I am planning on brewing this in about 2 hours.

If you haven't made this beer before, I'd strongly suggest you give it a try as written before you change it, this is not a hoppy beer at all. That said it's your beer, go as low on the IBU's as you want. ;)

I made a stupid error - was priming two different batches and mistakenly added an extra ounce of priming sugar to this batch. I was shooting for 1.8 volumes and this will put me at 2.3.

Should I cut the bottle conditioning short? Will that get me closer to the style guidelines for carbonation for this one?

Have I screwed this up completely by overcarbonating? I spent a week in the UK recently and really enjoyed the low carbonation of the milds that I enjoyed that week.

Preheating MLT now and heating strike water as I type. Wish me luck as this is going to be my first brew that I am going to do water adjustments on. WOOOT!

well I finally got done brewing this....my pre-boil gravity was 1.037 and my OG was 1.050 wow! So I watered it down in the fermenter to a OG of 1.042 I was scared to water it down anymore lol. I tasted the sample and the sample tasted good but it was bitter to the taste. I hope this fades out. I did by mistake add the first addition hops at 60 min then the last addition at 15 mins. the total IBUs was 22.

Holy crap. from 37 to 50 during your boil?? Mine went from 37-41

yea that is what I said when I took the OG. I was trying to keep the OG low and I tried to do every kind of crappy hoping it would stay low but what ever I did it went up :(. I did a 5.5 gal batch with a 6.25 gal boil. If I figured right that would put me at a 95% efficiency Now that can not be right! Can it?

Just brewed this up today using a new twist....
6.5 lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs crystal 64
.25 lbs. carafa II
1 oz of Kent goldings for 60 min
Nottingham ale yeast

the big difference being the carafa II
i have heard it will have a much smoother flavor than chocolate malt
will have more to say on that in 2 weeks or so!!!!

I subbed 50% of the chocolate malt for pale chocolate malt in my last batch. I do not recommend it; I like the original recipe much more!

Tasted a hydro sample last night. Down to 1012 from 1029 a few days ago to my surprise. No airlock activity. damn bucket :D Sample is sitting in the fridge to chill for tasting tonight. The few sip warm though were delicious. Slightly roasty with a tobacco note at the end. Tossing this in the garage tonight, adding gelatin tomorrow and kegging on the 23rd.It'll be on gas 1 week before being served at our NW party which should give it the nice low carbonation it needs since I don't have dual regs.

I brewed this again for the third time. The first time tasted awesome and the second time got infected due to the notty recall. This time I used my new RIMS system and got 85% efficiency so my OG is at .050 hopefully there is enough hops to balance it out and I used s-04 this time.

made this for 3 time also, this time went with carafa II instead of chocolate. LHBS said it would be smoother, i dont like the burned taste of the regular chocolate malt.
Will report back on the results soon.

Been drinking this the last couple nights. I don't think it will go over well with my NY party crowd, but I'll sure drink the crap out of it. :D Very roasty but not over powering. I'll post some pics sometime when I'm home.

Been drinking this the last couple nights. I don't think it will go over well with my NY party crowd, but I'll sure drink the crap out of it. :D Very roasty but not over powering. I'll post some pics sometime when I'm home.
You might be surprised who likes it. Some of my friends who I was sure wouldn't drink it (hardcore Coors Light people) absolutely loved it and can't get enough.

I hope that is the case bradsul. I have a fear my friends will all taste them both, then just drink whatever they brought either cause they don't like the beers or more likely, they don't want to drink all my beer.

I hope that is the case bradsul. I have a fear my friends will all taste them both, then just drink whatever they brought either cause they don't like the beers or more likely, they don't want to drink all my beer.

Ha Ha,

I try to brew beer my friends won't like but I fail....

More for you if they don't.

Latest posts

Back