Dark Mild Mild Mannered Ale (AG) (E) UK/US

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Mild Mannered Ale
Brewer: Orfy Asst Brewer: the dogs Style:
Mild TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 30.50 L
Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
Estimated Color: 21.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 76.9 %
0.75 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 Grain 19.2 %
0.15 kg Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 SRMGrain 3.8 %
30.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
30.00 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-
Ale Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Batch Sparge. - Hot
Total Grain Weight: 3.90 kg ----------------------------

Add 10.18 L of water at 81.3 C 70.0 C 60 min

Notes: ------ A classic northern dark mild like my Granddad used to drink.

View attachment MMA.bsm

US 5 Gallon - Extract

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.80 gal

4.89 lb Light Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 75.0 %
0.91 lb Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett)
0.28 lb Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) 508.0 SRM
0.87 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
0.87 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale
----------------------------
Notes:
------
A classic northern dark mild like my Granddad used to drink.

US 5 Gallon AG

Mild Mannered Ale - US imperial

Boil Volume: 6.80 galBoil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %
5 lbs 7.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs 5.8 oz Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain
4.4 oz Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 SRM) Grain
-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.025 SG with all grains/extracts added

Boil for 60 min Start to Boil.
15 min into boil Add 0.87 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min)
45 min into boil Add 0.87 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min)
-- Add water (as needed) to achieve volume of 5.00 gal

-- Add Ingredients to Fermenter
Amount Item Type 1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

26/10/2007 Measure Original Gravity: ________ (Estimate: 1.034 SG)

View attachment MMA.txt

I just kegged this today and it is very tasty! I'll be making this again very soon and you've inspired me to experiment with mild ales.

I have no idea how you got the gravity down to 1.009 with a 70C mash though - the best I could get on mine was 1.016.

Thanks for the great recipe!

I will be brewing this tomorrow (Easter Sunday) and hopefully turning it into a regular on Baker Street in Petaluma, CA. I have questions numbering two for Orfy or any others who may wish to weigh in:

Question the first : I bought a packet of dry nottingham yeast from my LHBS today and prepared a starter with LME and a smittering of chinook hops. It's only been an hour since I mixed this and the yeast is already showing strong signs of taking over this starter with authority. Was this step entirely unecessary? (Having read the instructions on the Danstar packet I think it might have been.)

Question the second : I had some Goldings already on hand and so decided to use them instead of the Fuggles prescribed in Orfy's recipe. According to the recipe calculator at tastybrew.com this puts me over the IBU for the mild style. I don't care about that so much -- I generally tend toward a more cowboy style of brewing, guidelines be damned. In this case, particularly since Orfy's recipe is slightly stronger on OG/ABV than the usual mild so should be able to handle a little extra AAU, right? But I'm curious to know how this change might be expected to alter the final results. I am excited at the prospect of a single hop brew as I have usually had at least two varieties in the mix.

Here is my crude conversion without the aid of brewing sofware.
I'm off to the LHBS in an hour. I'll fudge through it if need be.
Unless the ASST BREWERS: the Dogs can post real soon.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 6.5
Original Gravity: 1037
Final Gravity: 1009
IBU: 23
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 21
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Mild Mannered Ale
Brewer: Orfy Asst Brewer: the dogs Style:
Mild TYPE: All Grain
Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 6.0 G (23.00) L
Boil Size: 8.0 G 30.50 L
Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
Estimated Color: 21.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
6.6 lbs (3.00 kg) Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 76.9 %
1.6 lbs (0.75 kg) Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 Grain 19.2 %
5.3 oz (0.15 kg) Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (508.0 SRMGrain 3.8 %
1 oz (30.00 gm) Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
1 oz (30.00 gm) Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-
Ale Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Batch Sparge. - Hot
Total Grain Weight: 3.90 kg ----------------------------

What to make of this instruction at the end?

On my last batch of this I will admit to pulling a slightly carbonated pint (residual CO2) right out of primary at 10 days. :eek: I let it go a couple more weeks after that though, I swear!

Orfy,
I wish I had your mindset sometimes because I keep upgrading my brewing equipment all the time and you are the refined, experienced frugal brewer. I am in awe.

I should get some english grains and make your mild ale (Mild Mannered Ale). I want it to be as close to your brew as possible. I only have some German grains (various types) and a sack of American pale 2 row, and a full bag of (Crisp) Marris Otter, and assorted English and American adjunct grains. I have fuggles and East Kent Goldings too. I make my house Amber Ale with 2 row and Crystal 60L, Centenial and Cascades so you just add the chocolate malt and different hops so I consider it a really close recipe as far as types of malt other than the fact that your grains are all English which most likely make a big difference. :mug:

Thanks.

The chocolate makes the difference. I think you need an English style hop. nothing too bold..
It's worth giving it a go.

It's a little beer that doesn't lay down.

What an awesome recipe!!! I just tapped this last night and I'll have to say that poor defenseless keg won't stand a chance!!:rockin: Thanks Orfy.

Brewed this a week and a half ago and it's ready to bottle. Tasting great already!

My question is when I open up your sheet in beersmith it shows carbonation at 2.4 volumes which seems high for a mild. But I think this is just the default amount it gives you if you don't adjust it.

I was thinking about carbing to 1.8 volumes which would come out to be 3.15oz of corn sugar. Think that would be too much for this style? What would you suggest?

Thanks for the help and the recipe.

:mug:

I just kegged this after a week in primary..the flat, warm sample I pulled tastes great. :off: I need more kegs....the second sample was good, too. I think I'm going to do this one again soon. I have a feeling this keg might not last that long.

US 5 Gallon - Extract

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.80 gal

4.89 lb Light Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 75.0 %
0.91 lb Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett)
0.28 lb Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) 508.0 SRM
0.87 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
0.87 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale
----------------------------
Notes:
------
A classic nothern dark mild like my Grandad used to drink.

I love milds. They're one of my favourite types of beer, although very hard to find, outside of beer festivals, even in London. So, now that I've started steeping grains, I knew it had to be my first beer to try.So I found this recipe. I made a few substitutions. I used 3kg of LME (Otherwise it'd be about 1 1/2 cans, and I'd be wasting it), Northdown bittering hops and Goldings Aroma hops (different quantities, for same IBUs) .

It's been fermenting for two weeks now, I took a sample last night, and wow!! It tastes exactly like my idea of a perfect mild. The chocolate malt flavour is there, but doesn't overpower the beer, like it would in a porter. Hop levels are perfect. I can't wait to try it when it's finished.

I got my first "this may be the best beer I've ever tasted" off this recipe at Thanksgiving. It was coupled with the "I don't usually drink dark beer" phrase, too!

Thanks for the recipe, Orfy.

I just brewed this recipe this week. It was several firsts, first brew in my new house, first with my newly made HLT and first on my new direct fire MLT. I did over sparge by 2.5 gallons(new equip and brew software), so I did a 120 minute boil. I am assuming there will be some noticeable carmelization, which may bew welcomed in this one. The hope is to serve it on nitro on 1/31 for a friends going away party at my place. Thanks for the recipe Orfy.

Well that keg did not last long. It was put on tap yesterday and kicked by midnight. Thanks Orfy, went over huge with my friends.

Thanks for the recipe Orfy! When I was at the LHBS getting the grains, the owner looked at the ingredients and said, "wow, this looks like a perfect recipe for a great sit down and enjoy type of beer." He was so right!
Definitely going to be a mainstay.

Great recipe Orfy! I brewed this with crystal 80L instead of 60L because it was what I had on hand and it tastes great after 9 days! It has a nice caramel flavor with a hint of vanilla and the chocolate finish is great. I tried this beer on a whim but now I can see myself making it regularly.

Thanks Orfy!

I was looking through the recipe database to find some use for my spare 2oz bag of Fuggles in a low-gravity (sub 1.040) session ale, and came across this intriguing recipe.

I have never had a mild, and was wondering how roasty these brews are. I don't like porters and stouts, for instance, but I like brown and amber ales, as well as dark Belgians. In other words, I like caramel and toffee-flavors, but dislike roasty/coffee-like flavors.

If this recipe is on the roasty side, what do you think about substituting something like Dehusked Carafa I/II and maybe a dark Crystal malt for the chocolate?

This may be my first all-grain batch (although I'd have to do a concentrated boil due to lack of BTUs on my stove), so I am especially excited about that.

Also, do you have any suggestions for what type of brewing water would be best for this style?

Thanks much - I'll stick to the original recipe, and will go with something approximating a London water profile.

It's actually a Northern England style of beer rather than Southern.
If you want to play with water profiling then I'd go for Buton.

Southern Mild is pale.

I would be tempted to bottle this with a picture of Clark Kent on the label, as he is invariably described as "mild-mannered."

Clark_Kent_2.jpg

I popped my AG cherry with this recipe. I brewed a 2.5 gallon batch and if I like it I'll up it to a 5 gallon partial mash. I dont have the equipment do to a 5 gallon full boil. I also used my barley crusher for the first time with this.

I'm brewing this as I type, about halfway through the boil, and I gotta say it looks and smells great already. At this point it doesn't mean much but I'm already looking forward to that first pint.

Not sure whether I'm bottling or kegging this one yet. It depends on if I the parts for my version of sonvolt's beer engine get here in time. I'd like to put it on CO2 but my fittings are US spec and don't match up with what is used in Japan.

Orfy you can drink this young? This being my first AG I am anxious to see how different the taste is.

Orfy you can drink this young? This being my first AG I am anxious to see how different the taste is.

I was into mine, kegged and carbed by day 14. It did seem to open up after 3 - 4 weeks though. Very, very good. Mashed at 158*F and came in at 2.9% ABV.

A balanced mild is a beer to be drank young.
2 weeks should taste good. 4 may taste better
I'd want to kill the keg within 6 - 8 weeks

A good thing to do is start taking half a glass daily or every other day after carbonation.
I've started drinking this stuff from day 8. It's amazing to see it come together over the next week or so. I was much happier with it on day 12 to day 8.

It's a good way to educate your taste buds on green beer and how it develops.

Just poured the first pint of this tonight. One week of priming and all is well. Very tasty and easy drinking! Thanks for the recipe, Orfy!

I drew my first hydrometer sample last night, and it was delicious - even my wife agreed. It was also not at all what I expected (I had never had a mild before). This was my first time working with several ingredients though, especially the Fuggles hops.

What surprised me was a really strong fruity aroma and taste, even though I fermented the beer quite cool (at 67 degrees using Safale-04, which I unintentionally subbed for the Nottingham). My first reaction was "did I use Cascade in this beer?", although it was a bit more along the lines of cantaloupe than grapefruit - a bit floral, as well. My wife, who is quite uneducated in beer tasting, also noted that it struck her as fruity.

So what am I tasting/smelling? Is is the Fuggles, is it the yeast, and more importantly, does the original recipe have a similar flavor and aroma profile?

I just popped open my first bottle after 2 weeks waiting for it to carb. Its been almost a month since I made this and all I can say is this is my best tasting batch I have made so far. I think this beer is real forgiving as far as mash temps. Since this was my first AG I mashed high and had an FG of .015 and it still tastes good. What does everyone else think.

Thanks Orfy definately make again.

EDIT 4-30
I finished off my case and this is my best tasting brew so far

Back