Spa panel wiring question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumulusHead

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all. Quick question for anybody with spa panel wiring experience. I've searched the forums but I can't find a solution for my problem.

My problem is that I got my spa panel wired up but when I plug it in, it trips instantly.

Here's some background.

I ran 10/3 wire from my main panel to garage. In my main panel I installed a 30A non gfci breaker. 2 hot legs to the breaker. Neutral and ground attached to the grounding bus.

Wired up to a 14-30 Nema receptacle.

Tested outlet with multi meter. Each hot to ground gives me 120v. Each hot to neutral gives me 120. Hot to hot gives me 240. Neutral to ground gives me 0. I believe that Is what I should be getting.

I wired up the spa panel according to the PJ diagram for 4 wire.

When I plug in the spa panel the breaker trips instantly.

I unplugged all of the load wires from the gfci and plugged in again. Still trips. So this leads me to believe that the problem is on the line side of the spa panel. I feel like I have the line side wired correctly though.

Any suggestions?

Hey all. Quick question for anybody with spa panel wiring experience. I've searched the forums but I can't find a solution for my problem.

My problem is that I got my spa panel wired up but when I plug it in, it trips instantly.

Here's some background.

I ran 10/3 wire from my main panel to garage. In my main panel I installed a 30A non gfci breaker. 2 hot legs to the breaker. Neutral and ground attached to the grounding bus.

Wired up to a 14-30 Nema receptacle.

Tested outlet with multi meter. Each hot to ground gives me 120v. Each hot to neutral gives me 120. Hot to hot gives me 240. Neutral to ground gives me 0. I believe that Is what I should be getting.

I wired up the spa panel according to the PJ diagram for 4 wire.

When I plug in the spa panel the breaker trips instantly.

I unplugged all of the load wires from the gfci and plugged in again. Still trips. So this leads me to believe that the problem is on the line side of the spa panel. I feel like I have the line side wired correctly though.

Any suggestions?

You may have an issue with your neutral/ground buss, I've seen issues with sharing the buss and not having separate but that's not that common, might be a bad breaker, can you install the gfci in your main panel? If so see if it still trips.

You may have an issue with your neutral/ground buss, I've seen issues with sharing the buss and not having separate but that's not that common, might be a bad breaker, can you install the gfci in your main panel? If so see if it still trips.

Well I'm kinda assuming here, but I think my panel is ok to share the neutral and ground bus. My house was built 2 years ago and the bus is full of ground and neutral.

I'm kinda leaning towards a bad breaker, but I've heard that's uncommon. And I'm hoping that's not the problem since I spent all this money on the spa panel. Which I got off eBay. So I don't think I can return it...

My main panel is a homeline and the gfci is a GE. It looks like it would fit, but I've heard that's not a good idea to put a diff breaker in there?

Well I'm kinda assuming here, but I think my panel is ok to share the neutral and ground bus. My house was built 2 years ago and the bus is full of ground and neutral.

I'm kinda leaning towards a bad breaker, but I've heard that's uncommon. And I'm hoping that's not the problem since I spent all this money on the spa panel. Which I got off eBay. So I don't think I can return it...

My main panel is a homeline and the gfci is a GE. It looks like it would fit, but I've heard that's not a good idea to put a diff breaker in there?

Just to see if it works, try it. It's not rated for permanent use.

Do you have a picture of how you wired the spa panel? Mistakes are fairly common here. If so, it is a pretty easy fix. Make sure the neutral is connected to the breaker pigtail, and the only thing connected to the breaker pigtail.

Do you have a picture of how you wired the spa panel? Mistakes are fairly common here. If so, it is a pretty easy fix. Make sure the neutral is connected to the breaker pigtail, and the only thing connected to the breaker pigtail.

I am out of town, but will take a picture as soon as I get home. I knew I should have taken one before I left!!!

Just to see if it works, try it. It's not rated for permanent use.

Ah perfect! That is good to hear. I was debating doing this right away but was worried due to something I read about not mixing breakers/panels. For a short period of time being ok, this makes sense. I mean it looks like it would fit so using it even for a long period of time would make sense to me. But this is why I come here and ask questions :) thanks!!

While we are waiting on Humulus' pics, a related question. I wired my system exactly as he did, 30amp breaker in main panel to spa panel in the garage. I purchased a spa panel that has a 60amp gfci breaker. I want it just for an on/off switch as well as for the GFCI, so I didn't think it mattered that the breaker was 60amp. My question is, because the breaker is 60amp will the GFCI still work the same?

While we are waiting on Humulus' pics, a related question. I wired my system exactly as he did, 30amp breaker in main panel to spa panel in the garage. I purchased a spa panel that has a 60amp gfci breaker. I want it just for an on/off switch as well as for the GFCI, so I didn't think it mattered that the breaker was 60amp. My question is, because the breaker is 60amp will the GFCI still work the same?

Yes, it will trip via a ground fault or 60 or greater of current

I would bet that you have your load side neutral wire attached to the bussbar when it's supposed to be wired to the correct terminal on the breaker. I made this mistake TWICE on the same panel 2 years apart.

I would bet that you have your load side neutral wire attached to the bussbar when it's supposed to be wired to the correct terminal on the breaker. I made this mistake TWICE on the same panel 2 years apart.

I actually do have the load neutral attached to the breaker terminal. Even if I unplug all of the load side wires from the gfci breaker it still trips :(

I actually do have the load neutral attached to the breaker terminal. Even if I unplug all of the load side wires from the gfci breaker it still trips :(

Is your line side neutral attached to the breaker pigtail, and your line side ground going directly to load, with no contact with neutral?

A month later, I finally get around to working on this again. Last night I put the breaker directly in my main panel and turned the power on for just a few seconds. The gfci tripped instantly. Decided it was a bad breaker.

Went to Home Depot and bought me a replacement spa panel, wired it up the same way, and it works now!

I just couldn't have my self believe that a breaker would come defective, but in my case that's exactly what happened!

Thanks all for your detective skills!!!!

Back