Driveway Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thetonymartin

Reaction score
My condolences. It might be time to get the mop and then order a sturdier burner for those 10g batches.

Dude that sucks. If you can be bothered you could get some preservative free apple juice and make cider.

Welp, now what?
Before...
View attachment 278540

After...
View attachment 278541
View attachment 278542

Long story short, I coated my driveway with 11 gallons of wort.

Any suggestions of what to do with 2 packs of S-05 yeast. It's already hydrated. Nearest LHBS is 40 miles away, and my burner is out of commission for the time being. [emoji22][emoji84][emoji90]

Do every home brewer a favour and post the make and model of that burner. You might be saving sombody else the loss or injury. Good to hear you avoided the latter, my condolences on the loss... as for the yeast, I agree with the cover with distilled water cover and refrigerate, use it as soon as you recover.

Friend just had the same accident...a true lawn mower beer! His turkey fryer had the curved legs. Mine have the angled straight legs and seem stronger...I hope.

at least you didn't get burnt! sucks though, my neighborhood would still be echoing my obsinities.

at least you didn't get burnt! sucks though, my neighborhood would still be echoing my obsinities.

I have to agree, that could have been one nasty burn.

I've been putting off getting a burner, after seeing this I'm firmly in the Blichmann camp, if I go with a gas burner. I'm really thinking electric because I don't like the idea of brewing in my messy garage, I can setup an electric rig in my slightly less messy basement.

Thanks everyone for the condolences. I am very lucky it didn't fall toward me.

Friend just had the same accident...a true lawn mower beer! His turkey fryer had the curved legs. Mine have the angled straight legs and seem stronger...I hope.

It was a burner from a 'Cajun Injecter' turkey fryer kit with curved (bent) legs.
It was fine with the 7.5 gallon pot that came with it, and seemed to be okay with the 15 gallon aluminum pot (11.4 gallon boil). It must have been from the extra weight from the immersion chiller and chiller water that caused the collapse. This was the first full boil after the boil test with this new pot.

What actually failed and why? The burner stand looks a bit whimpy for the amount of wort you had on it. Did rivets fail, or metal break, or what?

H.W.

For the yeast, mix up some extract and make a starter, or put it in a sanitized jar and store it in the fridge until you can get some extract.

your burner looks like an oversized candle holder.......sorry for your loss, hopefully nobody buys one of these burners. Sometimes cheap is not good.

I physically stood on the display model of my burner before I bought it. It was $25 at Academy sports.

It's $29 now. Anyway, good cheap burner.

http://m.academy.com/shop/Product_1...=Black&N=20001+10001&Ntt=Burner+stand&Ntk=All

What size batches are you boiling on that?

What actually failed and why? The burner stand looks a bit whimpy for the amount of wort you had on it. Did rivets fail, or metal break, or what?

H.W.

The metal leg bent. All the screws and holes are intact.

You can dedicate your next batch to commemorate the experience and call it "Driveway Pilsner" What a story mate!

That's my plan, once I get the burner fixed/ replaced.

If you have a shop, consider fabricating a new burner stand without the pretty curved legs

Back