Unintended pellicle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer_in_the_cap

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've had a terrible time with my latest brew, a black IPA extract with steeping grains using WLP001 (no starter) OG of 1.06. Fermentation took it's sweet time and after 3 weeks I racked and dry hopped after seeing this (first 2 pics), gravity at 1.016.

A week later the pellicle is back in secondary (second 2 pics), my hop bag is floating in there too. I was going to bottle this weekend but now am looking for some advice on how to proceed...Bottle and drink quick? Age?

Any thoughts or advice?

IMG_20150510_123313.jpg

IMG_20150510_123323.jpg

IMG_20150515_122442.jpg

IMG_20150515_122623.jpg

As you noted, it's a definite pellicle. Proceed with caution however you go because of bottling.

Bitter beers (black IPA) mixed with potential sour character (if it's a bacterial infection) would likely yield a disagreeable end product. Lacto is unlikely since I would expect the IBUs of the brew to be considerably high (certainly higher than most lacto strains thrive at). If it's a wild yeast infection then the end result may be subtly funky to nasty bandaid depending on multiple factors.

I would watch the gravity for 1 week and if you can find a stable gravity one week apart then I would bottle. I would prime a little lower than I actually wanted (i.e. less priming sugar than normal) with the assumption that the wild microbe(s) will attenuate some excess complex sugars. I would check one bottle at week 1, and then again every 4 days afterwards. Once you find the carbonation level you like then refrigerate it all and drink relatively quickly.

If this was me I would let it ride for 5-6 months till the infection does it's thing. I've had a sour black ipa before and it was surprisingly delicious!

Thanks for the help guys. Should I pull the hop bag since it's been in for a week or leave it to age with the beer?
Once the beer's out, is it safe to continue using the equipment or am I risking future infections?

I would pull the hop bag out as it will impart grassy flavors if left in for two long. Unfortunately, anything that it plastic or rubber that touches this beer is potentially tainted. I personally wouldn't use it for clean beers anymore. However, now you have some sour equipment!

^^this, exactly. Great equipment for sour/wild beers now.

It was time to replace my autosiphon and tubing anyway so I picked some up today. Would a good bleach soak help?

I pulled the hop bag and checked gravity tonight and it's still holding at 1.016, quite tasty too!

I have a California Common to bottle this weekend so I might let this one coast for a bit and get something quick in the clean equipment to keep stock up.

I would pull the hop bag out as it will impart grassy flavors if left in for two long. Unfortunately, anything that it plastic or rubber that touches this beer is potentially tainted. I personally wouldn't use it for clean beers anymore. However, now you have some sour equipment!

1. Dump the beer. That infected beer will foul your mood for as long as it's around. Don't even THINK about bottling it any time soon. Dump it, brew another, wash away the bad memory. It's hard to make a good sour beer INTENTIONALLY. I doubt you stumbled on one here. BTW, I speak from plenty of experience :(

2. I've made many sour beers and reused all the equipment, including better bottles, tubing, universal bungs, auto-siphon, etc. Reuse that equipment, no problem. I did bleach the crap out of everything before it went back into service though, as well as my normal starsan blast (please tell me you're using starsan).

Maybe I was just lucky. But, you know, the world is covered with bacteria. Your body, your kitchen, the air. It's everywhere. If you ever get into plating yeast, just take a virgin plate and expose it to the air for a few minutes, then cover it and wait. Colonies of bacteria and/or wild yeast will grow on the growth medium. Bacteria is everywhere.

So don't get too freaked out over a little infection there. Clean your gear properly and get back on that horse.

1. Dump the beer. That infected beer will foul your mood for as long as it's around. Don't even THINK about bottling it any time soon. Dump it, brew another, wash away the bad memory. It's hard to make a good sour beer INTENTIONALLY. I doubt you stumbled on one here. BTW, I speak from plenty of experience :(

2. I've made many sour beers and reused all the equipment, including better bottles, tubing, universal bungs, auto-siphon, etc. Reuse that equipment, no problem. I did bleach the crap out of everything before it went back into service though, as well as my normal starsan blast (please tell me you're using starsan).

Maybe I was just lucky. But, you know, the world is covered with bacteria. Your body, your kitchen, the air. It's everywhere. If you ever get into plating yeast, just take a virgin plate and expose it to the air for a few minutes, then cover it and wait. Colonies of bacteria and/or wild yeast will grow on the growth medium. Bacteria is everywhere.

So don't get too freaked out over a little infection there. Clean your gear properly and get back on that horse.

Gravity is still sitting at 1.016 and the beer seems to be clearing, see pics. Taste is still good so I will bottle, store in a safe place and drink quickly.

Thanks for the advice PassedPawn! I will bleach everything and yes, I definitely use StarSan. I thought about giving up this hobby but brewed NB's Zoomin' Pale Ale to keep my pipeline going and the sample is delicious!

IMG_20150528_202401.jpg

IMG_20150528_202427.jpg

Latest posts

Back