Show off your fermentation chambers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for coming to the rescue guys lol! No build pictures on my phone, i converted a workbench the previous home owners left into what it is now. Its about 4' high by 8' long, the right side houses the mini fridge and controller. Holds 3 carboys and a corny maxed out, so i guess ill need to build another one haha. Afro_lou - what do you think of the stc? Im using a ranco and have mixed feelings, in the future if i build another chamber i might try a different controller.

Yeah, I meant to mention earlier, your build is gorgeous! I'd love to have something like that in my garage...
The STC-1000 is awesome. I think it cost me all of $25 to build the box, and it's been running rock solid for nearly a year now. I'd highly recommend it!

Thanks! Im going to do a bit more research before my next build, the ranco is nice, but as funny as it sounds i dont like the plain, un-lighted display as much as some others ive seen (i like cool looking tech gadget stuff for my beers lol) and a few other things. I would actually like to do a fridge like yours for lagering, trying to get my chamber down below 40 takes time and pushes the poor fridge to its limits lol

Mini fridge, single stage temp controller, computer fan adapted to "freezer" lid. 3 gallon batches.

20150320_222706.jpg

2015-04-11.jpg

IMG_20150117_190527_nopm_%5B1%5D.jpg

I like the fan in rhe freezer lid idea, im thinking of adding something similar to help move air around a bit better and help keep temps equal everywhere in the chamber

...trying to get my chamber down below 40 takes time and pushes the poor fridge to its limits lol

Yeah, it's great for general fermentation, but not great for cold crashing. I'm thinking about switching to an upright freezer for fermentation AND cold crashing...

Here is my chamber, not quite finished. Using reptile heat tape to warm the chambers controlled by ink bird controllers. Pulling cool air from cool area under stairway with computer fans to each chamber to maintain 65 - 68. Heat tape will raise temps as I need to finish fermentation.
5 gallons of cream ale nearly ready to bottle and 10 gallons hybrid stout Buffalo Sweat / Dry Stout + + ingredients

image.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I like the idea of seperate compartments for each beer, will give you more flexibility than i have, everything has to ferment at the same temp in mine which is a bit restricting.

Added an extension cowl to a dorm room mini fridge. Controlled with an STC1000. The cowl is held on to the fridge by ratchet straps around the back, connected to I-bolts. Foam weatherstripping between the cowl and fridge front and steel sheet metal on the front for the door seal to register against. Also had to fabricate a new top hinge as there wasn't enough clearance; steel plate with a bolt lock-nutted through it that seats in the door's upper hole.

20150525_133329.jpg

20150525_133246.jpg

Not a great pic and has since been modified. Got rid of the sight glass for cleaning reasons.. they are 15 gallon corny kegs upside down with racking arms and the normal dip tube is used as the blow off. Works excellent.

Well, I am quite envious of all of you!

My fermentation chamber is only in my head and consists of multiple closets that conical fermenters can be rolled into. Each one would have its own temperature control so that custom fermentation temperatures can be maintained for various beer styles including the capability for lagering.

I live in an apartment and I am waiting for my ship to come in so I fear this will only be a dream. I'll keep hoping though...

Running 2 chest freezers with heat wraps/ heat plate imside so that they are 100% temp controlled. Running two of them so I can cold crash and primary ferment at the same time when needed.

image.jpg

This uses a 5000BTU window AC, I can get my fermentation temps down into the low 50's even in the summer.

I've been thinking about doing a build with a window AC unit, but have been wondering about a couple things. Do you have some sort of out vent? I keep thinking that in a space that small something weird could go on trying to blow air in with no where for it to go. Do you have any issues with condensation?

The window air unit should be able to recirculate the interior air to avoid having to have an exhaust.
As for condensation issues, Im not sure their purpose but I do see two PVC pipes sticking up through the top of the chamber. Could have a bucket of Damp-rid up there to combat the humidity.

The window air unit should be able to recirculate the interior air to avoid having to have an exhaust.
As for condensation issues, Im not sure their purpose but I do see two PVC pipes sticking up through the top of the chamber. Could have a bucket of Damp-rid up there to combat the humidity.
The PVC is from an earlier experiment. There is a dorm fridge on top of the chamber. The pipe goes from the fridge into the the chamber. But even with a fan blowing the cold air, the chamber never cooled off enough. I just never took the fridge out, but the PVC is plugged. When the door to the chamber is sealed there is no air escaping, and I've never had a condensation issue.

Here is my chamber, I went vertical due to space limitations and it has worked well enough for me. Currently its almost empty in preparation of moving and maybe some improvements and modifications.
In peak usage I can rotate 3x 5-6.5 gallon carboys in milkcrates as well as a milkcrate and hump space for cellar storage.
The bottom layer stays a few degrees warmer than the top which I think helps to let the beer finish up.

13537694_10102646698861188_916955732268364902_n.jpg

Interior.jpg

Here is my chamber, I went vertical due to space limitations and it has worked well enough for me. Currently its almost empty in preparation of moving and maybe some improvements and modifications.
In peak usage I can rotate 3x 5-6.5 gallon carboys in milkcrates as well as a milkcrate and hump space for cellar storage.
The bottom layer stays a few degrees warmer than the top which I think helps to let the beer finish up.

Is that shelf sturdy?

Is that shelf sturdy?

Most definitely. Its made of 1x2's spaced ~1" apart mounted to 1x4's that are resting on 2x2's that are part of the frame.

I havent seen any signs of weakness and it holds a 6.5 gal carboy fully loaded just fine.

I've finally gotten permission from the boss (gf) to buy a fridge for fermenting! This thread is exactly what I need to see for inspiration!

Back