Remote Installation Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
I am helping my neighbor to set up a remote system in his man cave/barn. I am trying to figure out the best way to set it up.

The install dictates that there is going to be a total of about 16-20' of line, about 12' of which would be outside of the fridge. The tower is mounted to a counter-top, with two taps. We are planning it to be 2 commercial brews at any given time, likely a BMC all the time, and a rotating micro brew or home brew.

The lines need to run down from the tower, through the back of two cabinets, then into the fridge, which will be in an adjoining room. I am torn between either setting up a recirculating glycol system, and an air cooled system but have no idea how to set up the lines for this type of system. I am thinking the glycol system would be more ideal, i just have no experience with barrier tubing, etc. in terms of getting the proper pour/pressure characteristics.

The 2nd option would be to run dual runs of insulated PVC, with a fan circulating air constantly. The setup for this would be very easy, but I am thinking would be less ideal.

The third option I thought about would be a cross between the two. Use insulated PVC (single run), and inside it do a recirculating coolant system with PEX being used for the cooling lines.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of setup that they could share?

I imagine it gets hot enough in South Carolina to test a marginal system for a few months of the year at least. I'd go with a glycol-chilled trunk system and not screw around with anything less...

Cheers!

I imagine it gets hot enough in South Carolina to test a marginal system for a few months of the year at least. I'd go with a glycol-chilled trunk system and not screw around with anything less...

Cheers!

Fortunately all components will be in an air conditioned space. How would one go about calculating the lines, etc. to get a proper pour?

Back