Need urgent help, first time kegging and force carbonating.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaliBane

Reaction score
My friend called me to make some beer for his personal event, and the two of us made ~3 barells (300 liters) of beer for it. Idea is to put them in sankey kegs, force carb them and serve them from the tap. Now comes the first problem, tap is not Kegerator type, it's something like this - http://www.internetoglasi.com/wp-content/uploads/classipress/toilica-za-pivo-odin-1349055864.jpg
You connect the coupler to the keg which sits at room temperature and then it gets cooled on it's way to the glass. Why it's a problem - well, everywhere I read it says you need the same temp for force carbing and tapping. So If I force carbonate it at around 70 Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) will it get carbed well? Other problem is beer staying that way. I need that beer for 17 of may. I plan on racking it to kegs around 10th of may at the latest and force carbonating it. I plan to remove the spear, sterilise it with StarSan (I know this isn't sterile but Star San mostly works), rack the beer into keg, leave about an inch of headspace, return spear, purge CO2 and then carbonate.
How to carbonate is the final question? How to do it so it is carbed in 24h at most and when I remove the coupler and move the keg it stays carbonated for me to pour it from the tap when I connect it and everything...?

I hope for fast answers, and precise ones at that :)

Best regards from Serbia!

- You can carbonate a keg successfully at pretty much any temperature, you just need to use the correct pressure that will result in the beer equalizing at the desired volumes of CO2.

- Once carbed, you have a big bottle. It's not going to lose carbonation.

- You could set the CO2 pressure on the sealed keg and rock the heck out of it until it stops accepting gas. Again, the pressure selected needs to result in the desired volumes of CO2. For instance, refer to our favorite carbonation table. http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

- While dispensing pressure is ideally the pressure that will maintain the level of carbonation at the serving temperature, in your case you don't really need to worry about maintaining carbonation as you'll likely dispense the lot. So set the pressure to whatever works - though I'd make sure there's plenty of beer line in between keg and tap...

Cheers!

Well, basically there is a lot of line, because tap is the cooling system for beer which is dispensed at room temperature but goes out cold. I'll likely dispense the whole keg(s) in the same day so then I needn't worry about dispensing pressure, just what works, OK.
OK, then I set my regulator to 30 PSI and roll the keg on the floor for few minutes untill it stops accepting gas. Will I get (more or less) consistent results with this?

I've never done this, but for extra insurance I would do my best to carb the beer normally (<40F and around 12psi) for as long as possible. I would also try to set something up so that the kegs stay as cold as possible, even if using a jockey box.

Do you have access to a large fridge/chest freezer? At the party could you keep the kegs in trash cans full of ice water?

Shaking at the exact same CO2 pressure used for "set and forget" carbing and determined from a carbonation table for the beer temperature at hand will not over-carb the beer no matter how long the keg is agitated - simply because it can't...

Cheers!

Back